Moving broody and eggs...now shes not setting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whatthecluck, May 30, 2010.

1. whatthecluck

whatthecluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    So the last time I had a broody I let her set her eggs right out in the open nesting boxes...and she would get off and get back on the wrong ones sometimes...but miraculously hatched her group. Then I had the hard task of setting up a section of the coop that would be safe for her and the peeps as they grew. So this time I have a bantam broody. And I moved her into the new area 3 days ago...but she is so panic stricken about the move that she is not settling onto her eggs at all.
    I went up and watched where she was laying down and moved the box over with the eggs for her there as it wasnt a good location where I had set for her....just wondering if they break out of broodiness will they likely go back? She is just starting to get more comfortable in there but it had confused her [​IMG]
    Darn....

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I've read the recommendation that you should move the broody at night to upset her less.

I use plastic lidded storage bins for my nesting boxes so it was easy to move my broody hen simply by moving the nestbox she was in to where I wanted without disturbing her at all.

3. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    just wondering if they break out of broodiness will they likely go back?

Last year my EE hen who likes to set, decided to go broody. Her nest was within their coop, at one end. (not really a nest box, more of a nesting place) So there was no way I could move her "nest" to a new cage. So I tried moving her and her eggs and she quite brooding. But, later on she went to setting again. So I'm thinking that your hen will go back to setting soon, If she really wants to raise a family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by