Moving broody bantam

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Artemis1, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Artemis1

Artemis1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2014
    Northwest Montana
    We are going to be moving right up the road to our new house during the next 2-3 weeks. A few days ago, I noticed one of my bantam hens was missing. Found her yesterday sitting on eggs. It has been about 4 days that she has been setting. We need to move my chickens and turkey to their new coops, new field this weekend. I was planning on putting her in a small wire crate that I used for my mini schnauzers during house breaking, maybe keeping her with us in the house. I wanted to keep her and the eggs from the chaos of the move. Will moving her into a crate be a good thing? I am afraid that if I move her up to the new coop while everyone else is finding their spots, she may get too stressed. Thanks!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I think it will work. Besides what alternative is there???
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

3. Artemis1

Artemis1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2014
    Northwest Montana
    Thank you, I wasn't sure if this would upset her more or not. Don't want to mess with what Mother Nature is telling her to do. I am low on hens, too many roos..so, I want them to do what they do :)

also, when my cochin was broody last year, she got up and moved around a bit, ate and drank...but this one is like a zombie. I thought she was dead when I first found her, lol. She hasn't moved. How long will they go without food or water when setting?

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    They are hardy for sure. Offer them some treat food and water right where they can easily get it. If you have her in a nest and sitting on those eggs , I think the move will go smooth. And again, offer her some treats, They may have a weakness for that. What is the best you have??? scratch??? it will do. [​IMG]

5. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    When you move her into the crate put the eggs in first then her. They seem to take it better if their not looking for their eggs.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy Artemis1

I agree that the crate idea sounds the best and also to pop the eggs in first and then her. For various reasons I have had to move a broody from one coop to another and she was fine; as long as she had those eggs, I reckon she would sit anywhere I put her [​IMG]

I was actually compelled to respond to your post more because of the ‘Zombie” comment.

I have had had broodies that get off the nest twice a day and another that got off the nest at 3pm every day, like clockwork but I have also got a ‘Zombie’.

She is a Bantam Cochin (or Pekin Cochin or Pekin if you like, depending on from where you hail [​IMG]).

She has just successfully hatched her 3rd lot of chicks and for each of her hatches I had to move her off the nest once a day. On hers and my first attempt at hatching eggs everyone said “she will move off the nest eventually for something to eat and drink” … by the time Day 3 arrived and she had not moved, I made the decision that she didn’t get that memo! I tried putting the food where she could reach it but she didn't notice it, this gal really zones out!

Each of the hatches, if the weather is warm, I ensure that she gets frequent drinks from this special little cup she has (I know it is silly but it is just this thing we seem to have and she appears to like being waited on!).

Every afternoon, I lift her off the nest and make sure she stretches her legs, has something to eat and drink and then she waddles back to the nest.

1 person likes this.
  7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I'd recommend that you move her into a big dog airline crate after dark, with bedding, food, and water all set up first. It works best that way. I've never tried to move a broody down the road in a car, but you have to try. Good luck! Make sure that there are no openings in the cage big enough for a baby to get out; Tiny chicks will die that way. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by