Dfarago

Songster
Feb 23, 2019
High Desert, California
I am a first time duck owner and still new to tending to small farm animals. My Muscovy has been diligently incubating her eggs like a good mamma. But now it’s about time to move her into a separate enclosure. The enclosure she is currently in now contains the drake and three other females. And the enclosure doesn’t have any kind of top to it. We have just finished building a new enclosure just for our brooding females but I’m not sure the best way to move her. Should I just pick up the house she’s in and move her with the eggs into the new enclosure? Or should I wait until she’s outside, move the house and eggs then put her in later? I want to do whatever is safest and the least stressful for her and the eggs. Also to add the little house she’s made her nest in can very easily and gently be lifted and carried by two people.

I am a first time duck owner and still new to tending to small farm animals. My Muscovy has been diligently incubating her eggs like a good mamma. But now it’s about time to move her into a separate enclosure. The enclosure she is currently in now contains the drake and three other females. And the enclosure doesn’t have any kind of top to it. We have just finished building a new enclosure just for our brooding females but I’m not sure the best way to move her. Should I just pick up the house she’s in and move her with the eggs into the new enclosure? Or should I wait until she’s outside, move the house and eggs then put her in later? I want to do whatever is safest and the least stressful for her and the eggs. Also to add the little house she’s made her nest in can very easily and gently be lifted and carried by two people.
How 'bout you wait until she's hatched her 'lings before moving her? Ducks will abandon nests, if the nests move; they're highly unlikely to abandon ducklings.

My only concern is that the drake will kill the ducklings. That’s what the guy we bought him from said.
Why not lock him up when they're about to hatch then? Far less stress on broody momma, and then you can move him out and her in when they're done.

Also, personal preference, I would not breed from any animal that kills his own offspring.

I've never seen a drake kill ducklings. Was it that particular drake that was known to kill ducklings? If not I wouldn't worry about it. (Just for thought after this incident.
You are going to get bit and flogged by your broody if you try to move her ducklings. A sweet duck can be a very nasty broody mama.
If you are going to move them, I'd move her and her nest and house all at the same time. Preferably with her in the house. If you can block her in with the nest as you move it that is the best bet she will stay with the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom