Moving broody hen advice

KKatknap

Songster
10 Years
Nov 15, 2009
Albany, OR
This morning I found where my first-time broody Wellie hen has hidden her nest. I had planned to move her tonight (and still am), but when I tried a little bit ago, she ran out of the kennel and back to her spot. It wasn't totally dark (I am now waiting until it is), but I'm a little stressed.

Looking for consolation...

If I move her now (in the dark), will she be able to settle in and stay on the eggs? I haven't ever moved any of my other broodies. I should add that we are at the lockdown stage of hatching, so it's do or die. She MUST be moved from where she is or the peeping of the chicks will attract all of the feral cats in the area. Not to mention the coyotes and raccoons. I am concerned she will panic and crunch all the eggs. Should I wait to put them in with her? I have my incubator warmed up just in case...

Crazy girl has 15 eggs under her!
ep.gif

Yes! Move her! This has happened so many times, where most of the times, I do move the broodies Ive found, but some are in a really safe spot so I think I should just leave her there, plus it's really hard to move her out of it anyways, so I let her stay. Next morning she's not there, theres only three eggs left
hit.gif
( one of witch has half its shelll off so I can actually see the hopeless dying embriyo)and, once it happens I can't do any thing about it
barnie.gif
. So Id move her if I were you, also, be carefull, because like u said, ur in the lock down stage. If you decide somehow that it is impossible to move her,put a cage over her, or some kind of netting so nothing can get in, then u can move them once the chicks have hatched. If you decide to leave her there with some cage or netting over her, it might help if you have a radio plugged in somewhere around the nest so feral cats and stuff might stay away. Well I hope they all hatch, and good luck.
big_smile.png

I agree move her.. I had one that wanted to go back to same place also and it was to dangerous to leave her.
I took the whole nest and moved it at night this seemed to work (for me anyway) she stayed all night and then was fine next day
really not sure how she knew it was her nest but did not try to leave again. Good Luck!

Thanks for the good words of advice!

Kico - I am with you on the dilemma. She had chosen a good spot! I went back & forth on it a lot, but decided moving her would be best. I was very afraid that same thing would happen...I would give in to her and regret it later. I am sorry for your loss, but thank you for sharing it...it definitely helps to make the decision!

1 Rooster - Really hoping I have the same result - thanks!

I have moved her, and after it was dark, she didn't resist. I just checked on her, and she is sitting tight on her eggs again. I am hoping it doesn't flip her out to discover she is in the wrong place tomorrow. A couple of the eggs were peeping, so maybe there will be babies to make her happy by morning...
fl.gif

Thanks for checking back!
smile.png

I DO have great news! I had taken 11 of her eggs and put them in the incubator, just in case she ended up flipping out and breaking them. Two chicks hatched that first night, and I put them under her early the next morning. She took them happily and snuggled them in.
big_smile.png
Long story short...a total of 9 chicks have hatched in the bator and have successfully been given to mama, and I know that at least 2 of the eggs I left with her have hatched. Mama and babieas are all safe in a brooder in the coop, and I can breathe a big sigh of relief (and have)!
clap.gif

Thanks for the help!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom