Moving Broody Hen -- HELP please!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ourlittleflock, Sep 19, 2010.

1. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have a sweet oegb that has been sitting on some eggs for about 2 1/2 weeks now - My problem is her next box is off the ground I tried placing a crate (crate = bottom half of cat carrier) on the ground but she refused to sit on them (Once I placed them back in the box she took right to them) - I just started today trying to switch her to the ground and left the crate for her to see... Once the chicks hatch later this week - I don't want them falling from the nest to the ground.. how do I transfer her?

here is a pic for reference - she has her on section so no one should bother her......
    [​IMG]

2. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    This might be a long shot, but is the nest box screwed to the coop or nailed? Could you remove the entire nest box and set it on the floor? Be prepared to pop those eggs into an incubator, too, should she abandon the nest when moved. I had to move a broody button quail because she was nesting where it would not be safe for babies (up on a ledge of all things). She abandoned her nest once moved. Thankfully, the incubator was going so I popped her three eggs right on in with my coturnix eggs.

3. ourlittleflock

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    maybe I could move the nest box to the ground hopefully that might work..

but the major problem is my incubator is full of mottled d'uccle.

Another thing is: which i hate to do is let her sit until they hatch and place them in a brooder without her...

any other options..

4. Loving My Peeps

Loving My Peeps Chicken Whisperer

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    Can you make a ramp or ladder for all of them to use? That way she and the eggs can all stay in the same spot....

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I would just leave it alone. My BO is the head hen (head of the roos too for that matter) and I always let her set in the main coop 'cause nobody will mess with her. She likes the upper nest boxes but I just make sure the shavings are good and thick underneath and have never had her lose a chick to the drop. She stays in the box for a day or so after the hatch so I always know when to get things ready for the big jump. After her brood hatches out she leads them to one of the lower boxes at bedtime.

6. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Is that nest box made of cedar? If so, that could be the problem.

7. ourlittleflock

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:it is cedar to match the coops post and their huddle houses (except the inside of the houses are treated 2'x6's)

what could happen?

8. ourlittleflock

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:thank you - I may try this and leave her crate on the ground for her to use...

9. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    did you move her at night if not thats why she didn't stay in the nest after you moved her, if you did move her at night then i don't know what to tell you

10. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I have had this problem before and solved it by temporarily nailing a small piece of chicken wire over the opening to the nest box, just during the hatch. Once she's finished hatching, she will go with the chicks wherever you move them. I've never had a problem moving a mother hen and her chicks anywhere i wanted to. They're just stubborn about the eggs' location.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by