Moving broody hen question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amcconnell, Aug 29, 2014.

1. amcconnell

amcconnell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    In the past I've moved broodies by placing them in a box at night. My current broody is very flighty when it comes to being disturbed so I haven't moved her yet. This is her first hatch and she is currently in the hen house on 3 eggs in a nest about 1 1/2 ft off the ground. The eggs are due to hatch in 3days. Do I risk moving her now or should I wait until the chicks hatch???? Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Since they are so far into the process don't move her or touch the eggs or the hatchlings when they hatch unless you are sure you want to separate them and put them in a brooder. The hen may kill the chicks or abandon it otherwise.

3. amcconnell

amcconnell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    I feel that I will have to move them if not shortly after hatch because the nest is so far off the floor. If the chicks fall out it could kill them or they wouldn't be able to get back into the nest for sure.

4. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Then once they hatch remove them just don't give them back to the hen. The chicks will be fine if you move them once they hatched. Just watch out for mommy so move her first but make sure that all the chicks you want hatched are hatched.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Your hen is fine where she is. A 1 1/2' drop from the nest won't kill or harm the chicks, especially if they have plenty of straw or other bedding under the nest. I would not move a broody this far in, especially if she's flighty and this is her first hatch. The hen will stay on the nest for about a day after the chicks hatch, and the chicks will stay under her. My broodies always nest in a nest that's about as far off the ground as yours, maybe a bit more, and I've never had a problem with a chick falling out of it. What I do is, the day after the chicks are due to hatch (and they're generally on time under a broody) I go out, reach under the hen for any unhatched eggs, take them away, and then move mama and babies down to the floor. She won't kill them if you take them out and then put them right back with her. She'll probably jump out of the nest on her own to join them. If she doesn't, take her out yourself. I've done this many times, never been a problem.

You can see the nest box to the left of the rooster. I know it doesn't quite show how far it is to the ground, but it gives you some idea. The chicken under the nest box is on the floor.

[​IMG]

6. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    one of my flighty hens decided to nest five feet off the ground. I had tried to move her early on to no avail... close to the date of hatch I put extra pine shavings and hay on the ground andall five of the chicks jumped off encouraged by the hen and were fine :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by