Moving broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blarney, Feb 21, 2009.

1. blarney

blarney New Egg

Feb 21, 2009
    Have a hen in a hedge on 15 eggs - think she's been there for about 14 days.

Want to move her to a brood box that's predator proof.
    I was going to candle the eggs during the move.
    Read that I should do this at night

Is this OK to do?
    Any suggestions.

Thanks

Blarn

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I would do it at night. It would be much safer for everyone down low as long as you make a predator proof area for her, maybe she thought the hedge was a good place..lol!!!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I do mine at night and haven't had any problems. Only suggestion I have is to make sure the box is enclosed for her incase she makes a fuss to get up and can't wander off from the eggs. That way she will just plop back down on them. A feeder and waterer and large enough area she can get up to poo.

4. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Yes its okay to move her, just do it at night. And its best to keep her dark-ed out for the next day .
    Take the eggs one at a time candle them ,put them in her new nest them put her on her new nest. I find its best to have a nest that you can move with her . I use a dog pet taxi, its worked great for me. I have 2 broody tractors I use for my hens and I move them from the nest to the taxi - taxi to the new nest in the tractor.
    If I'm not able to do this early I'll just keep her in the hay barn in the taxi till hatch then move her with her newly hatched chicks to the tractor when shes ready to take her first walk with them she will get them set up. Them I take out the taxi.
    Best of luck to you with your broody.

edited to say welcome to BYC

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  5. blarney

blarney New Egg

Feb 21, 2009
    Thanks,

I have a bulb in the box for heat - after chicks hatched?

Blarn

6. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If your leaving the hen in with the chicks after they hatch no need for extra heat she will keep them warm.

7. blarney

blarney New Egg

Feb 21, 2009
    How long to leave hen in with chicks?

Blarn

8. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    The hen can stay with the chicks and raise them up if you want. I've done both, let the hen stay at raise them up til she starts laying again or take the newly hatched chicks and put them in a brooder box to raise alone with food, water and a heat lamp.

Either way they will need a place away from the other adults I have found as chickens can be cruel to newly hatched chicks with their mom. Chick starter/grower can be fed to the hen too, fresh water and a marked off place of their own.

9. blarney

blarney New Egg

Feb 21, 2009
    Thanks everyone.
    Move went surprisingly smoothly - especially using a pet cage to keep the chicken in during the move.

Now just have to wait for them to hatch!

Blarn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by