Moving broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ga*chick*, May 1, 2009.

1. ga*chick*

ga*chick* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Ga
    I have a hen that has been setting in the coop for about 4 days now..was wondering if I should move her? I have an old rabbit hutch, was thinking about moving it on the side of the hen house and putting her in it. The last 2 hens that hatched any babies ended up losing them all.[​IMG].think this may be a safer idea...
    Any suggestions??

Thanks,
    Margaret

2. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    moving them is hit or miss. i moved one last night and when she got off this morning for her morning workout she forget where her eggs were. so i had to put them back in the original spot and will have to move her back again tonite. [​IMG]

a lot of times they tend to not understand their eggs are under them and they get agitated and want to go back to the old nest and when they find out their eggs arent there they have a hissy fit.

you can try it, just make sure you watch so if she gets off and cant figure out where they eggs are you are able to move them before they get too cool.

why didnt the other chicks survive? if the other chickens arent messing with her i would probably leave her where she is or just block her off somehow assuming shes in a safe out of the way spot.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I would move her, but beefy is right about it being hit and miss.

Early this week I moved Pigie and it broke her from being broody. Luckily Her sister took to the new nest/house just fine. Both have been broody for several weeks. Most say to move them at night.

I do recommed that you put a moved hen on useless eggs till you know she is settled in her new spot. I use eggs that will sold as eating eggs and just switch them out daily.

Matt

Edited from spelling

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  4. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    We have a hen who has been sitting on eggs for almost three weeks. She is still in the coop with the rest of them. We tried to move her, she refuses to sit when not in the nest she chose. Maybe that will help some? No one seems to be bothering her, she does however move eggs from the other nests to put under her. I know she is moving them and not other hens laying on her because I caught her, lol.

5. ga*chick*

ga*chick* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Ga
    It wasn't the other chickens that messed with the babies...they were good momma, I think the chicks got out and couldn't get back in..thru the fence. It's chicken wire. Think I may just leave her, the other hens don't mess with her. Just worried about after chicks hatch...have a rat snake that lives near by, he keeps the mice at bay, but I think he may have helped himself to a tasty treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by