Moving Broody Momma?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KennyP, Jun 18, 2010.

1. KennyP

KennyP Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Joshua,Texas
    Does anyone know if I can move my broody hen after just one egg has hatched? Were desperate over here................

2. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    Ah yes, IF you can move the entire box with her in it, very gently, and still won't guarantee she'll be happy

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Kenny, this sounds like a classic case of failure to plan ahead. The hen should have been moved long ago and no, it`s not a good idea to move her while chicks are hatching. I could be wrong and I hope I am, but I visualize the hen and chicks in a nest high above the floor and probably in the coop with other hens. Best thing to do is close off the opening to her nest for a day and let the chicks hatch. Then, tomorrow night, look under her with a flashlight and see if it looks like all the ones that are gonna hatch, have hatched. If so, move the hen wherever you need to and then the chicks. Hopefully you can accomplish this without stressing the hen too much and she will settle down with the new brood. Good luck..........Pop

4. KennyP

KennyP Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Joshua,Texas
    Pop, you are exactly right!She is about 4 feet above the floor and other hens everywhere! We WERE trying to let mother nature do eveything this time. We have partially closed her box and plan on keeping an eye on her and the other eggs. Any other suggestions? We'll take all the advice we can get........................

5. Lollipop

Well, this time I`m sorry to be right. Just make sure the chicks can`t fall out of the nest and keep them there for at least 24 hours after the first one hatches. If there are any eggs that haven`t hatched and are expected to, leave her and the chicks a little longer. Remember, chicks can go about 36-48 hours without food or water and the hen can also. Don`t worry about food or water til you move them. Move the hen first, she`ll probably fight you so dress for it. Then put all the chicks in a bucket or box and move them to the hen. They should be on the ground in a private place where the other hens can`t get to them. Then you can put in the feed and water. Good luck with everything........Pop

6. Chicken D's mom

Chicken D's mom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    I moved my hen while hatching eggs during a blizzard and power outage last spring. Her nesting box is a small plastic tote. I simply took another tote and placed it upside down over the top of her and the eggs and moved the whole thing. She barely even noticed and settled right back down to brooding in the new location.

7. Lollipop

Chicken D's mom :

I moved my hen while hatching eggs during a blizzard and power outage last spring. Her nesting box is a small plastic tote. I simply took another tote and placed it upside down over the top of her and the eggs and moved the whole thing. She barely even noticed and settled right back down to brooding in the new location.

That`s the way to do it Mom. All of my nest boxes are singles. When I get a broody, I cover the hole and just pick up the box and move broody, eggs, and all at night. She wakes up in my maternity pen and remains there til 2 weeks after the hatch. Then I move her and babies to a 4X5` pen with 2X3" wire. The chicks can come and go as needed and learn, big time. It`s something I learned years ago and has proven to be a great system..........Pop​

8. Land of Lost Toys

Land of Lost Toys Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Ohio
    since the posting is not that old, I have an additional question regarding moving the hen. I just added fertile eggs to a broody hen yesterday and she's hasn't moved off of them since. If I move her today to a 4x4 area away from the main coop - like in another barn, will she be okay with it? After reading the posts about waiting too long, I don't want to mess up this first time broody hatch.

9. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:I let my Hens go broody in the nest boxes I have above the floor along with the flock about, I just note which boxes have broody's and keep removing eggs from the "non-broody" nests. Seems to work, the chicks make it to the floor (4 feet +) with no problems into the deep litter. Occasionally I may have a broody get back on the wrong nestbox, I just pick her up and put her back in on the broody nest with eggs. My Hens have successfully protected their chicks among the flock, 40+ with 4 Roosters, but I also have a large run to prevent overcrowding stress.

[​IMG]

10. Chicken D's mom

Chicken D's mom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    Quote:She may or may not. I have a hen who usually tolerates me messing with her, (moving her, candleing, cleaning out busted eggs, etc.) while broody and she will stay broody. Yesterday, I was spraying to coop down with "poultry protector" while she was taking a potty break and my roo got mad and jumped in the box and broke an egg. I removed the egg and was sure she would return to her brood, but she abandoned them. I felt really bad and wish I would have just left her alone.

It's kinda heartbreaking when your hen abandons the eggs, so I know it's a hard decision. If your hen is broody for the first time, I would try and leave her alone if you can. If you must move her, be mentally prepared for the possiblity breaking her brood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by