Moving chickens from coop to the barn

Riverjoy

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2021
So since my chickens and turkeys are destroying my garden i'm moving them to a different fenced area--the barn has dirt floor consisting of dirt and old goat poop. My concern is the meat chicken who is there right now developed mites and i think i've seen some fleas. Is that typical for old dry manure barns? I've been spreading diatomaceous earth. Would nematodes help? Also, is the only way to move them wait till night time and carry them one by one? Thank you.

My concern is the meat chicken who is there right now developed mites and i think i've seen some fleas. Is that typical for old dry manure barns?
Hard to say where the bugs came from.
But if a bird is infested it needs to be treated immediately with something that will actually kill the bugs, like permethrin.

I've been spreading diatomaceous earth. Would nematodes help?
Neither of those are going to be effective against poultry pests.

Also, is the only way to move them wait till night time and carry them one by one?
That's often the easiest, grabbing birds off the roost at night is the fastest way to 'catch' them.
Put them in crates.
Depending on crate size you could put multiple birds in them.

Hard to say where the bugs came from.
But if a bird is infested it needs to be treated immediately with something that will actually kill the bugs, like permethrin.

Neither of those are going to be effective against poultry pests.

That's often the easiest, grabbing birds off the roost at night is the fastest way to 'catch' them.
Put them in crates.
Depending on crate size you could put multiple birds in them.
Thank you. I dusted her with diatomaceous earth a while back and that helped 80% with the mites. I also have an herbal spray with lemongrass oil. Havent tried permethrin yet.

How long ago was the barn used for goats? If somewhat recent the mites and fleas could have been from the goats, other wise a barn that hasn’t had any animals living in it for a good while shouldn’t have much of a parasitic insect problem. Might be coming in from around the outside of the barn?

Over 2 years ago the goats were here. So there is very dry manure and goat hair. However, I did see a possum in there, trying to put some wire mesh around the perimeter. Tried trapping the animal unsuccessfully. Could the mites be from possum?

Havent tried permethrin yet.
That's what will get rid of them completely....the other stuff is just not going to do the trick.
Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Could the mites be from possum?
Most poultry pests come in from wild birds....or hay/straw stored where wild birds have access. I've heard of rodents/mammals bringing them in, but more likely not.

Over 2 years ago the goats were here. So there is very dry manure and goat hair. However, I did see a possum in there, trying to put some wire mesh around the perimeter. Tried trapping the animal unsuccessfully. Could the mites be from possum?
Opossum isn’t a horrible thing, they eat a dump truck load of fleas and ticks and probably mites to. Parasitic insects are their favorite food. For the safety of the birds make sure they are kept in a opossum secure coop/run, but I wouldn’t try to force out the little fella yet, he will help clean up the bugs around the barn that are plaguing your chicken. Once those are pretty much gone he should move on to forage elsewhere.

mites primarily live on birds and can move onto goats and a few other live stock, more than likely they have come in on wild birds or came in on goats, didn’t have a strong infection on the goats, and have been living on wild birds.

Back
Top Bottom