moving chickens to new farm?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken man76, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Chicken man76

Chicken man76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    Lebanon il
    I am moving and taking my chickens with me in the coop they live in when I get to new farm can I let them out to free range beings its the same coop they have always had. Or should I give it a week or so with gate closed and not let them run right away to vet used to things

2. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    Even though it's the same coop, I would give them some time to adjust to their new surroundings.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You do this adjustment period in steps. Only open the coop door late in the afternoon, at first. This will severely limit the time they have to feel ambitious and go exploring. Slowing move up the time of release to noon. That ought to do the trick.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chicken man76

Chicken man76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    Lebanon il
    Yea I have about 17 birds 12 chickens & 5 turkeys I moved them all in the coop on the trailer at night so they were calm it worked out great took 5 of us to pick up coop and run was not fun its good size. Took 2 trailers to move all. I was thinking id open the door around dark maybe last hour or so of light first while I monitor we have alot of woods behind us now. Im fencing in a big area soon but for now they get it all to free range

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by