1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

moving chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JoyBelle, Sep 3, 2009.

1. JoyBelle

JoyBelle Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    We just built our chickens a new coop in another part of our yard. The old and new coop are about 200 yards apart. What is the best way to get the chickens to move to the new coop. They keep returning to the old ones. Also, what about the nesting boxes, where they lay their eggs.

We have physically moved them and for two nights they have been in their new coop.

Thanks & Blessings, Jb

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Lock them in the new one for a week an when you let them out again make sure there locked out of the old one

3. GlenwoodFarm

GlenwoodFarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Montclair, New Jersey
    Quote:That's exactly what our friends did.... Worked for them

4. JoyBelle

JoyBelle Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Thanks Y'all, That is what we will do, or I guess I should say, already did since it is now the mid of the night.

Funny, I knew what to do when I brought all these gals here to their new home a little over a month ago, but when I moved them across the yard, I couldn't figure it out. [​IMG]

Thanks for jog'n my brain![​IMG]

5. slpaden

slpaden Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    Yesterday I moved my hens to a new coop/nesting box. Last night and tonight they have huddled in the corner of the coop, not going to the nesting box. They have continued to give us eggs in the new nesting box, but we are having to pick them up and put them in at night . . . . any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by