Moving Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kgw, May 31, 2010.

1. kgw

kgw Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Tulsa
    I am getting 5 semi adult chickens this week. There proven egg layers. The owner has treated them like there royalty and they are moving into a redneck, white trash, poor house (My place). Is there anything I should do to make there move more comfortable and easy?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Chickens don't care how "pretty" their coop is, if that makes you feel any better. They do care about having solid shelter w/good ventilation, clean water, fresh food, room to move about, etc. I would contain them for a few days to make sure they learn that this is "home" now. I'd sit quitely with them each day to observe them and let them get to know you. I'd dole out a little scratch, sunflower seeds, grapes, or other treats each day so that they learn to trust you and like their new home. And do keep in mind that change is hard for most chickens; It may take some of them a few weeks to get back into laying. Good luck and enjoy your new chickens!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What teach1rusl said. In spades.

4. kgw

kgw Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Tulsa
    Well I do know that pretty is in the eye of the BEERHolder. Not worried about looks but the coups I am building look nice. My main concern was stressing them out. Don't want dead birds or ones that need therapy :-D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by