Moving chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jessie_Jazz, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Jessie_Jazz

Jessie_Jazz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    Hiya, my first coop is nearly built so I'm thinking about getting the chickens to put in it. I was wondering how do I get the chickens home in the car?

What do I put them in and how much space do they need when they are being moved?

2. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    if you get chicks then a box with couple of holes in it.
    if is chicken a pet carrier with a towel in botton. it depend how u are travel with your chicken up 3 hours without water stop

3. leslierf

leslierf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Tucson area
    I put mine in a pet carrier. I haven't had to travel farther than 1/2 an hour though.

4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Pet carrier or dog crate. They usually just hunker down for the ride and don't move around a lot.

5. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Funnniest sight ever seen. A little Hispanic guy bought 5 hens at an auction. He just threw them in the cab of the truck. They were flying all over the place. I don't know how he drove home. Auctions are always entertaining.

6. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    I was going to ask this very question,lol. We may be moving and we have 10 hens 2 roos and 2 ducks to move. Plus we will have to build a new coop and run to move them into once we get there! If we do make this move I think the chickens are going to entail a lot more work than us people will,lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by