moving chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by karhernandez33, Sep 27, 2010.

1. karhernandez33

karhernandez33 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    wichita falls texas
    I have 5 chickens in my coop outside, i want to add the 4 pullets in the baby coop that are 1 month old . Is that to young they have all there feathers, but i put them out today for about 20 min. they are really small when they are with the 5month old chickens. they was pecking them and chasing them so i put them back in the baby coop . so when do you move them and how do i get the others to like them. i thought about taking them out 1 time a day while i am watching them?

2. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I would wait till they get a little bigger. A couple of ideas I read were that to put a whole cabbage in the pen with the older hens to keep them busy and to make a safe hiding place for the little ones so they can get away. I cut a whole in a tote, but I didn't have any problems. I waited until they were about 12 weeks old and opened up a new yard for the whole flock. I have about 54 and everyone integrated fine. Good luck.
    J

3. karhernandez33

karhernandez33 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    wichita falls texas
    thanks for your help

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I agree, I would wait until they are at least 12 weeks old. I usually wait untill they are 16weeks old. That way they are almost as large as the big girls. I like the idea of giving them places to hide.. My Uncle used to place planks of plywood on blocks high enough for the chicks to get under but too low for the hens to get under and placed hay bales about 6" from the fence so the chick could squeeze thru but the larger chickens couldn't..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by