Moving chicks and One little turkey out into there coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rufflemyfeathers, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Moving chicks and One little turkey out into there coop and before they get to run the pen they go to a coop and so far that poor little orpan of a turkey has been with the chicks but they are only on 20% chick starter and turkey suppose to be higher which I have but have not given to it since in brooder with chicks..now is it ok to separate the turkey and put in its own coop cage by itself so it can eat the proper amount of protein food for turkeys..It is getting along so good now with the chicks and they accepted him/her now to only separate it..

Any suggestions?? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

OK...I'm totally new to all this, so I don't know....but if the turkey needs more protein, can't you just feed it high-protein snacks (more snacks than the chicks)? Like scrambled egg, meat, bugs, etc... Or is turkey food more different than that?

3. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    If left it in with the chicks they would eat it too so I think to be on the safe side will put in its own pen and feed it its turkey food. I don't know why they can't all have the same food but guess not. Unless someone knows something I don't know.. thanks for the reply.

4. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Aw it's gonna be all lonely on its own...i hope someone can suggest something that would work.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Is the turkey your future Thanksgiving bird?

If it is, you might want to feed it differently or have a leaner bird.

Otherwise, let that big bird think it's just a big chicken.

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    You can mix the 20 percent with the higher protein turkey feed and give it to both. I would not separate them untill absolutely necessary if at all. Turkeys are very social and it would pine away in my opinion or it will make a very determined effort to be with the chickens anyway. They fly very well at a pretty young age. You did not say how old there birds are so if they are six weeks or over the twenty percent food is probably good anyway. They would have gotten off to a good start with the higher protein at the beinning.

Turkeys are great birds.

7. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

As long as the turkey seems to be thriving I agree with Mahonri. Just let it think it's a chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by