Moving chicks around

bjerro

Chirping
Mar 1, 2018
Portland, OR
Hi! I am getting my first set of chicks in a week or so. I built a brooder that is raised off the ground but I want to be able to handle the chicks and spend time with them. If I spread a blanket on the ground near the brooder for a small amount of time each day and let them hang out on it with me would that be OK or is moving them around too stressful? Also, would being without food and/or water for about half an hour be a problem? Newbie here :) Thanks in advance!

If they are being shipped, you should let them relax and recover from the journey for a few days. If you're picking them up close by at a feed mill or store, maybe just 1-2 days of rest. You can handle them gently after they have gotten comfortable.

If they are being shipped, have the water and food available right away and if it's a really long journey, put some electrolytes in the water. If it's from a store of feed mill and they had food and water available for the chicks there, they should be ok but still don't go any longer than a half hour, since they might get weak.

I will be picking them up from a local store. Thank you for the info though, I will definitely let them rest before handling them!

Just a quick note that yes, a tarp or blanket on the ground to play with them on it fine. So long as you pick them up gently, moving them won't hurt them (also, make sure that they can't jump/fly out of your hands halfway to the ground; try to find a balance :) ) You might also want to make sure that they can't run off the tarp and around your house- a baby gate or something of that ilk would work. Otherwise, you'll just have to be extra vigilant. Playing with them on their level is great for raising friendly chicks, and it has the added benefit of being absolutely adorable.
Have fun with your chicks!

That is more what I was getting at! I will have them in a room with a closed door so I'm not worried about them getting away, I just wanted to make sure the moving them around wouldn't stress them out too much and that it was OK for them to be without their food/water for a little while. Thank you!

That is more what I was getting at! I will have them in a room with a closed door so I'm not worried about them getting away, I just wanted to make sure the moving them around wouldn't stress them out too much and that it was OK for them to be without their food/water for a little while. Thank you!

Of course! Quick note, too, that while they while being without food and water for a little while will absolutely not hurt them, it is fun to sprinkle some food on the tarp and watch them fluff it up and peck at it. Once they're old enough to get treats, this would be a great time to give those, too.

You can handle them gently once they've settled in. I raised my incubated chicks in the house (winter) for about 2 months. First I had the brooders in the living room on the carpet, but later moved them to the kitchen.

The 2 brooders eventually were getting too wet and poopy too often, so I began feeding them on the kitchen floor. They loved that plus they got a lot of time to run and play several times everyday. The kitchen floor is vinyl so cleanup was easy. At a couple of weeks of age I began giving them a small tub with dirt and straw to play in and learn to take dirt baths -- that was very messy, but they sure loved it.
IMG_4193.JPG

20171121_093547.jpg

IMG_4193.JPG

Of course! Quick note, too, that while they while being without food and water for a little while will absolutely not hurt them, it is fun to sprinkle some food on the tarp and watch them fluff it up and peck at it. Once they're old enough to get treats, this would be a great time to give those, too.
Perfect!

You can handle them gently once they've settled in. I raised my incubated chicks in the house (winter) for about 2 months. First I had the brooders in the living room on the carpet, but later moved them to the kitchen.

The 2 brooders eventually were getting too wet and poopy too often, so I began feeding them on the kitchen floor. They loved that plus they got a lot of time to run and play several times everyday. The kitchen floor is vinyl so cleanup was easy. At a couple of weeks of age I began giving them a small tub with dirt and straw to play in and learn to take dirt baths -- that was very messy, but they sure loved it.View attachment 1286161

View attachment 1286158
View attachment 1286161
Thanks so much! I have a dog that looks just like yours - hopefully she will be just as well behaved!

She's pretty good, but by the time the chicks are a couple of weeks old she keeps more distance. Good thing -- those chicks WILL try to take your eye out. I wear safety glasses a lot more often now.

Back
Top Bottom