1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moving chicks in with adult birds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wwarren8200, Nov 6, 2014.

1. wwarren8200

wwarren8200 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2014
    Florence,AL
    I have 17 chicks right now at 5 weeks. I'll be moving them in with adults at 8 weeks. Any advice to a first timer with this to save some pullets...with two generations of birds I have 100% survival rate and I'd like to keep it that way haha

2. cnicho05

cnicho05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    Owosso, MI
    Hello,

There are a few tips which you can use to help improve your chances of success. Firstly, I would suggest you create a small pen (from chicken wire) near the coop/run where you older chickens live. By placing the chicks into this area the older chickens will have the opportunity to notice the younger chicks before having full access to them. At this time you should monitor the reaction of both groups to make sure either side is too aggressive.

Next, you should then start to throw some feed close to the fencing to see how both groups react when eating near one another. By using a treat at the base of the fence you will notice if aggressive behaviors will or won't be an issue.

Lastly, release the chicks into the same area as the chickens during a period of time when you will be home. Monitor their reaction and make sure to take the corrective actions required for any problems which arise.

If everything goes well,which it likely will, you should be all set. I like to keep an eye on food consumption for the first few days...just to make sure everyone it getting their fair share...but have only had a problem with this once before.

Best of luck...

3. wwarren8200

Feb 2, 2014
    Florence,AL
    Thank you. Very helpful. Would you keep them in the chicken wire enclosure for a few hours days etc

4. cnicho05

cnicho05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    Owosso, MI
    If a few hours works then I would go with that...

If you think a problem might exist then I would wait a day or two...

5. Sadie57

Sadie57 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    Southern TN.
    I, too, have never had to do this, but my 6 wk. old chicks (only had two) finally went in the main coop with Mom and older ladies. I did the smaller pen attached to the larger run with xlg. dog crate for shelter. Then after a couple wks. opened the doors to see if Mom would let them free range together. She went outside but babies didn't at first. Almost as if she warned them to stay put. My fear was more from my Bantam rooster but he completely ignored them. This morning I jumped out of bed and rushed to the coop, not sure what to expect. Babes were on the perch beside Mom seeming unconcerned. Happened none too soon, we are having below normal temps here and may need to hang a heat lamp.

6. wwarren8200

Feb 2, 2014
    Florence,AL
    If they sleep in a coop just insulate it well and you probly won't need a heat lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by