Moving Chicks Out

sphillips

Songster
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
New Mexico
I've seen this question asked numerous times, so I apologize. I have 8 chicks, about 5 weeks old that I've been brooding inside my house. Original plan was to move them into the barn in a temporary coop for a few weeks, then into the big coop. Coop plans have changed, and we ended up putting the temporary coop outside attached to the small run.
So, here's my question: The chicks have yet to go outside at all. They stay very warm in their room, I have had them off heat for just over a week, keep window open at all times, a bit less at night. Night time temps here are 40's - 50's, but we do have a couple of nights coming up in the 30's. Daytime temps 60's - 80's (not so concerned about that). The spring winds here can be brutal, and I don't want to stress my chicks too much.
I am going to attempt to put them outside for a bit at at time over the next week, and then want to put them out for good. Do I lock them in the coop? Do I let them come and go during the day and then lock them up at night? Will they need heat? Etc. etc etc

I say they should be fine without the heat at night as long as they’re not exposed to the wind constantly, I wouldn’t even be concerned w/ 30s temp since you have the warm days. Are you doing free range. Make sure to lock them up in the coop for couple wks to acclimate and gradually give them more freedoms days go on.
Yes, they will eventually free range. They have plenty of run space right now, plan was to keep them in for several weeks first. Just want them to be okay with moving outside.

I say they should be fine without the heat at night as long as they’re not exposed to the wind constantly, I wouldn’t even be concerned w/ 30s temp since you have the warm days. Are you doing free range. Make sure to lock them up in the coop for couple wks to acclimate and gradually give them more freedoms days go on.

Back
Top Bottom