Moving chicks outside in the winter (in Canada)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pronad, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Pronad

Pronad New Egg

Dec 14, 2010
    Hi everyone,
    I am new to this site.
    I have been trying to find some information about moving chicks outside but I can only find info from people who live in the US.
    I live in Canada and during the day it can get to about -10 to -20 celcius. I have 3 silky chicks inside (that did not come from any of my hens that are currently outside.) The youngest one is about 9 weeks old and the oldest is about 11 weeks.
    I was wondering when could I move them outside? My chicken coop is heated but it still will get a bit cold during the day since the door stays open.
    My other concern is my other hens pecking on the little ones...
    Did anyone ever go through a similar situation?

2. Winisk

Winisk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    Haliburton
    I have a 7 week old Phoenix chick that has been living outside in an unheated coop and yes it is cold here. Difference is it has mom to keep her warm. This morning it's -15 C outside ( -10 in the coop ) and the chick is staying under the wing for the most part. I'm no expert and can only offer an opinion. They still have a fair bit of growing to do and they are not acclimated to the cold. I suppose they can huddle together for warmth. As for pecking. My little one roams about without too much harassment. They should be alright there. Tough call. Perhaps try introducing them a bit at a time. Observe the behaviour for awhile and you may find your decision to be evident afterwards. Good luck with it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  3. Irene

Irene Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    I have always worried about introducing little chicks to the other bigger flock members. I know it doesn't matter when or how, but the little ones will get picked on, eventually, and especially those that are docile. Is there some way you can divide your coop in half, and put the older flock in 1/2 and the new ones in the other half, both with a heat lamp on? My mother hens usually stay with their babies until they're 9 weeks old. That's when I notice they kinda' are sick and tired of mothering and want to gobble food and rest...LOL...
    --Irene

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by