Moving chicks outside

bobshere

Songster
7 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Beautiful Northern Ontario
Hi,
I’m just looking for opinions on this question. I have several chicks that are almost a month old now. They are out growing their brooders. I’m wondering if anyone puts 4 weekers out in the coop at this age in these temperatures. My night lows are now going down to 0C and daytime highs are between 8-10C.
Am I safe with a couple of heat lamps on?

I put mine out at 4-5 weeks but had 60-70 degree temps and it didn’t get much below that. Might need heat source if much below this.

My first set of chicks I had a coop where I could close all the doors and windows. It was only about about a 3x3 area. Store bought coop. I put them in there with a heat lamp and just left all the doors and windows closed.

Also, how many chicks is several? What breeds? (i.e., how feathered out are their heads, backs, and bodies?) For the low of freezing, definitely need heat. ALso, the sudden change from indoors to out necessitates supplemental heat, they need a transition even if they were fully feathered. Heat lamps are definitely a good idea, plus some wind break.

Back
Top Bottom