joannakginter

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2016
My pullets are almost 6 weeks old and getting very restless. Can I move them outside at 6 weeks, even though it is in the 40's outside? I live in Chicago.

Lord, you have the patience of a saint. No way could I have kept them in that long!

It doesn't have to be an all or nothing type of deal. Put them outside, for a couple of hours, bring them back in, next day a little longer, back in, then out full time. Do make sure that they have SHADE and water as well as a sunny area and a wind shelter.

Mine went out at 3 weeks, no heat. They are much tougher than you think. You will have to herd them into the coop for a couple of nights.

I think space for exercise and fresh air are very important, and I can't stand the mess. Mine go out early. They can easily manage 40 degrees. I would hesitate if it was going to be below 10 degrees but not much above that.

Mrs K

Gotcha. I have always kept mine with a heat lamp at those temperatures (40 degrees) while they are still young, but I just like to be careful :)

My pullets are almost 6 weeks old and getting very restless. Can I move them outside at 6 weeks, even though it is in the 40's outside? I live in Chicago.
Much depends on how you've managed the chick heat.
Best to get them off heat by about 4 weeks, and keep the brooder room as cool as possible by cracking open a window.

You might make them a 'huddle box', put it in the brooder after turning off the heat(you might have to 'persuade' them to use it) then move it out to the coop with them.
-Cardboard box with a bottom a little bigger than what they need to cuddle next to each other without piling and tall enough for them to stand in.
-Cut an opening on one side a couple inches from bottom and big enough for 2-3 of them to go thru at once.
-Fill the bottom with some pine shavings an inch or so deep.
This will give them a cozy place to sleep/rest, block any drafts and help hold their body heat in.

Back
Top Bottom