Moving chicks outside

Esme2345

Chirping
Jun 16, 2020
Hi! I’m hoping to move my 4 week old chicks outside all day and inside the brooder at night, I’m not sure where to keep them outside though as they’re too young to go in with my hens. Should I build a little temporary run and shelter for them? When I do eventually move them out full time I’ll need a separate living space until they’re ready to become part of the flock but would I need nesting boxes inside it as they won’t need to lay? Any help would be very appreciated! Thank you 😁

You can use a separate coop/run (like a prefab) or carve out some space in your run with fencing.

They're not too young to join the hens though. My chicks were living in the coop and run and roosting with the hens at 29 days old. If yours have not been exposed to the hens at all, then you'll need to start by providing them with safe space in line of sight of the hens, to begin the integration process. Here's how I handle (early) integration, maybe you can get some ideas on how to successfully set up for it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

Hi! I’m hoping to move my 4 week old chicks outside all day and inside the brooder at night, I’m not sure where to keep them outside though as they’re too young to go in with my hens. Should I build a little temporary run and shelter for them? When I do eventually move them out full time I’ll need a separate living space until they’re ready to become part of the flock but would I need nesting boxes inside it as they won’t need to lay? Any help would be very appreciated! Thank you 😁
It sounds like you might need to build a small run anyway for flock integration, but I've been using a bug screen tent on our lawn to take my chicks outside. It's 10' x 10' so they have lots of room to explore and fly/hop around. The tent zips securely and doesn't have a floor. It's been a great "playpen" for the chicks. The first couple of days I had a space heater with an extension cord, but after the first day it was warm enough that they no longer needed it.

I put my 4 week olds in with the hens, but have a temporary brooder and other areas they can hide. I also free range so in the morning most birds leave for the day. This gives the chicks time to explore.

I just recently discovered the many uses of cattle fencing panels and I reckon 3 of them 6 foot by 3 foot would make a great temporary area in the run for them, you just bend two of the panels in half to make a 90 degree angle and then hook them up to form a box with cable ties, then cut the last panel in half with an angle grinder for the roof. Add a stick through the side resting on the fence holes as a perch. Then add a box for them to sit on and for wind and rain protection. And food and waterers. Job done. Should cost under 30 dollars to make.

If you can place it into an existing corner in the run only 2 panels will be needed.

I'd just get some hardware cloth and build a brooder cage, put the chicks in it, put the cage in your existing run. If your run aint covered put them under a chair or table, just something to cover them from rain while you are gone. My run is covered so I don't have to worry about it.

That also helps the existing chooks get used to them over time. Makes it a bit simpler when it comes time to introduce the 2 flocks.

Back
Top Bottom