moving chicks outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Vicky2479, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Vicky2479

Vicky2479 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Hi everybody, i have a question about my silkie babies, they are about 6 weeks old now and fast out growing the broody box i have set up for them, here is a pic of it all clean and ready for them to come back in from their afternoon outside
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At 6 weeks do they still need the heater? and how old should they be before i can move them outside? This is the place they will be moving into till they are fully accepted by the bigger girls
    [​IMG]
    it is abit more inclosed now, dry and has a thick layer of straw on the bottom, they like spending the day in there. The night time temp in the next week is ranging from 47 to 55deg F.
    Here is a pic of the little darlings now
    [​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Once chicks are fully feathered they don't need extra heat so much. I reckon they should be O.K. out there. But keep an eye on them in the evening and see how they behave. If they huddle together they are cold.

3. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    Are they coming back inside to your house? I might be a bit worried about that change in temp from a warm house to the outside, rather than them being cold at night. I am not sure silkie's need special care, I only have an assorted bunch of common type chickens, but my small flock did just fine going outside from an unheated feed room in my barn to their coop outside at about the same age. I have read and been reminded many times here at BYC to remember they have down jackets on! They will be fine as long as where they are is draft free and dry.

Good Luck

Cute birds!

MB

4. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    ya know this is a great thread. I dont know about silkies either but if you have them inside your house, start getting them used to the colder air by cracking open a window inthe room that they stay, still make sure there are no drafts on teh chicks but let cooler air in for them. It is good to let them get used to varying temps ike they would experience outside.
    Now at what age do you start taking your chicks out and for how long--- this is a general question not just for vicky!

5. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    I started weening mine off the extra heat as soon as they had most of their feathers. At 4 weeks they were completely off the heater. At 5 weeks they were moved to the coop, still in the brooder because I have an older flock. Temps at night have been getting down to around freezing here. They are now 7 weeks old and next week they get put with the big girls and released from the brooder. My point being I would ween them slowly! When you bring them in tonight turn the heat on until you go to bed then turn it off. Bring them in earlier tomorrow and don't turn any heat on. If they have their feathers!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Depending on the weather and season I let my chicks go out during the day from a young age. It it's warm enough I'll put them in a safe place outside when they are a few days old. It's good for them to spent time outside, being chickens and building their immune system by getting exposed to soil and everything that comes with it. That and they absolutely love being out, scratching in the dirt!

7. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I agree, I have never raised chicks at this time of year. I have 10 1 wk old pullets. I want them to be able to go out for abit with me but afraid it is too cool. I always bring in a shallow dish of dry soil for the chicks to play in and that is aways a hit. Before too long there will be no green grass and want them to enjoy that. Here is MO it is around upeer 60's and mid 70's. If I get a sunny day with out too much wind can I take them out and for how long.

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Silkies? They huddle together at all ages, warm or cold :p

9. Vicky2479

Vicky2479 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Ok thanks everyone. Being my first silkies I wasn't sure if the fluff they have would be classified as feathers and keep them warm enough, I did notice last night they didn't spend as much time under the heater so I might turn it off when I go to bed tonight.

10. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I was able to bring my chicks (2wks tomorrow) out today. They spent 5 hours out in the yard, protected by a cardboard circle, with the other chickens and turkeys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by