Moving chicks outside

AshFarm

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 5, 2013
Nanton, Alberta
Hi all, we are from Southern Alberta, a few miles from High River. We acquired 24 day old chicks about four weeks ago. They have been in a brood box with a heat lamp on 24/7, as our basement is quite cool. I have been reading up quite often and have likely come across the answers to my questions in amongst all the posts I have read- but as a new mamma to these little ones I would like to give them a fighting chance without compromising their success. It is about 10-12 Celsius at night here, would it be too risky to move them to our barn? We do not have electricity out there yet but are working on a few options. They would not have a heat lamp for the next month. Any suggestions? The barn coop is 16 x 16 and over 10 foot tall but not drafty. There is a 14 x 14 attached outdoor run. They are red leghorns. We also have a beautiful barred rock rooster and a Wyandotte. :)

its ok to put them out there but they need heat I don't know Celsius but when it gets to be 40 degree's or lower with winds I suggest having a heat lamp if there's no electricity out in the barn get a extension cord and find an outlet to plug in the EC and hang the lamp were they can all get warm

Do this. Ease them into the change over the next 5 days.

Too many folks go from a huge 250 watt type heater down to zero in one fell swoop instead of stepping them down. Just put a normal 60 watt bulb in your lamp fixture for the next few days. Then, they will be almost 5 weeks and if you put nice bedding for them to snuggle into, they will be just fine out in the barn. This is all we've done for many, many years. 12C is 52F which is not very cold for 5 week old chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom