Moving chicks outside

Twiga

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
My chicks are 3 weeks old now and have been living in our house in a big crate with a heat lamp. I have tried turning the lamp off occasionally but they seem to still need it. Feathers are growing very fast. I am thinking about moving them outside to a garden shed at the end of next week and setting up the heat lamp for night time. Temps here at night are around 10degrees centigrade. Does this seem ok to you experienced chick raisers? Once they have full feathers they should be ok with colder temps right?

If you can have electric in the coop, I'd move them out and give them heat at night. By 6 weeks they should be ok with those night temps. After that, they'll be ok much lower.
If kept warm, they can't acclimate to lower temps.

Thanks Chickencanoe, I was thinking that keeping them indoors is not helping them acclimatise, that's why I tried turning the lamp off. So I will do more of that now, and will move them to the shed next week with the lamp at night. ,Then by six weeks the lamp can go. Autumn is coming but it will not get really cold until October. Thanks for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom