Moving chicks outside

Isobelm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 17, 2015
Canberra, Australia
Hi all!

I live in Australia where it's currently about 28 degrees celsius (82.4 fahrenheit) during the day but gets down to 12 degrees (53.6 fahrenheit) over night.

My chicks are just on 4 weeks old and have outgrown the brooder set up I had for them. I am currently letting them run around in a protected area of our garden during the day but putting them back in the brooder overnight, however it is now getting a bit too cramped even for sleeping.

I'm wondering if it is alright to move them into the coop even though the nights are quite cold? The coop has solid walls on all 4 sides, but gaps at the roof line to let fresh air in. Also, one of the chooks looks pretty much completely feathered, whether as the others are only about half way there.

Any suggestions/advice on this would be most appreciated!

Thanks
Bel

Hi all!

I live in Australia where it's currently about 28 degrees celsius (82.4 fahrenheit) during the day but gets down to 12 degrees (53.6 fahrenheit) over night.

My chicks are just on 4 weeks old and have outgrown the brooder set up I had for them. I am currently letting them run around in a protected area of our garden during the day but putting them back in the brooder overnight, however it is now getting a bit too cramped even for sleeping.

I'm wondering if it is alright to move them into the coop even though the nights are quite cold? The coop has solid walls on all 4 sides, but gaps at the roof line to let fresh air in. Also, one of the chooks looks pretty much completely feathered, whether as the others are only about half way there.

Any suggestions/advice on this would be most appreciated!

Thanks
Bel

If you have more than 3 chicks, they should be fine. They are bundle together to keep them warm at night.

Last edited:
They don't have a light in the house at night, do they? Could you put them in a big box in the coop for the first couple of nights so they would have just a bit more heat, then turn them loose in the coop after that? They should be fine if they are fully feathered, UNLESS, you haven't weaned them to cooler temps.

I weaned them down to about 20 degrees c, so the light never comes on anymore. But the box idea sounds good. It's a 1.6m square coop, but blocking off a bit at night time will be much easier than my current moving them from one place to another.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom