Moving chicks to coop questions!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wegotchicks, Feb 16, 2017.

1. wegotchicks

wegotchicks Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2017
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    [​IMG] Hi! I am new to this chicken thing. We have 5 day old Black sex link hens. I have seen that they grow fast, but don't go out to the coop until fully feathered. So, where do I put them when they outgrow the tupperware bin I am using as the brooder but aren't old enough to move outside? We have a garage, but I don't know how to keep them safe in there if they need to be moved to a bigger space before they move to the coop.

2. Venevee

Venevee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2016
    I would suggest building a larger brooder or buying them a smaller coop, like this one:
    [​IMG]
    (example photo, not mine)

^You can find a small coop like these usually at your local country store for about $100-$200 or you can make your own.

I have a brooder that's pretty big that I start them in, it can hold up to 45-50 chicks until they are about a month to two months of age. Then I have a larger "nursery" pen in my coop that is sectioned off from the big girls and boys. After they are old enough to fend for themselves, I introduce them to the flock. It's also a good idea to section off a area in the coop where the rest of your chickens are because then your older hens and roosters can see your chicks and get use to them without harming them. And then the chicks smell like them too. It makes the introduction go a whole lot smoother.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  3. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    This was my project today! Moved chicks from the dog crate brooder to a much bigger area and they are loving it. This was this morning when it was chilly out--they're all spread out now. Just plywood attached to 4x4s at the corners so it can be broken down.

[​IMG]

4. wegotchicks

wegotchicks Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2017
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    How old are your chickens here?

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Do you have a coop yet? Do you have older chickens in the coop already?

If you have an empty coop, there is no earthly reason why you can't brood your chicks right in the coop. You live in a temperate zone so climate isn't a hindrance, and even if you have no electricity to the coop, an outdoor extension cord for a few weeks shouldn't be a problem.

Those plastic totes are not very good brooders. They overheat easily and chicks outgrow them in a week.

1 person likes this.
  6. wegotchicks

wegotchicks Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2017
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Our coop is almost ready to go. The chicks are only two weeks old. We DO live in florida, but it still gets down to 65 at night. We are moving them out of the plastic bin today so they have more ventilation and a larger space to move around. I am having fun watching them and keeping them close for now. It is easier for me to learn their personalities and watch their behaviors.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chicks, even day-olds, can cope with 65F at night with a heat source standing on their tiny heads. If they were so inclined.

I brood my chicks outdoors and it gets down into the 30s at night and no higher than 50s during the day, and they don't even seem phased by it, still running around and having a good time, not spending all that much time under heat.

1 person likes this.
  8. Heather94

Heather94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    Columbus Ga
    @azygous Can you post pics of your outdoor brooder? I've been wanting to do this but wasn't sure how to go about it! We live in Georgia. Most night are 50s & 60s now. 1 night is showing 39 and a couple 40s. Most days are 70s & low 80s now.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Heather94

Heather94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    Columbus Ga
    Looks good! Is that just a regular heating pad? We have a chick heating pad. But it wasn't keeping them warm enough

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by