Moving chicks to coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by honeyboy, Apr 9, 2009.

1. honeyboy

honeyboy New Egg

Feb 9, 2009
    Is there an ideal way to move chicks into coop? I have 6 chicks around 4 weeks old and 4 are basically completely feathered out and two are right behind them. Weather is going to start being 60's during the day and 40's at night. They are in the garage now with heat lamp. Should I start turning off the heat at night to prepare them? I probably won't have heat lamp in the coop. Thanks.

2. wundernurse

wundernurse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Atlanta
    I would wait a little longer to take away the heat at night. I moved my chicks out during the daytime then brought them back in the garage at night under the heat lamp for a couple of weeks. 40's seems a bit too low for 4 weekers w/out any heat. I eventually put my heat lamp out in the coop when the temps got back down into the 30's a few nights ago for my 10 week old girls. If you can't have heat in the coop I would move them back and forth for a little while longer.

3. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    No heat light at night in the 40s for 4wk olds doesnt seem like a good idea i put mine out during the day in the coop/run for a couple of weeks then at 6wks i put them out permanently with a heat light if its below 60s If you figure the 5 degree rule of thumb they should be about 80 in the brooder still. just a thought

4. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I moved our chicks out (13 of them) at almost five weeks old. It was in the 50's during the day and above freezing at night. I did set up a heat lamp for them for the first week. Now as long as its above freezing they go without the lamp at night.

you can tell if theyre not getting enough heat because they huddle together and wont get up and walk around at night. A good way to know is to refill their food and water just before bed- it should be a good deal of it is gone by morning. If its not been touched run an extension cord out to the barn and give them the heat at night.

5. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    My chicks grow up and have been in the coop/ranging with mama & the flock since day 1. Still, my broodies are usually only good for 3-4 weeks of motherhood, then the chicks are commonly on their own. During the day they are moving and fine, if they get cold they huddle. At night they huddle or perch, but I still leave a red brooder light on and have seen them in a pile beneath it's beam. The key is to have a place for them to go and get warm when necessary, regardless of the source. Given that & a draft free coop at night they should do fine figuring out how much heat they need and seek it as necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by