Moving Chicks to Coop

TyWilk18

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 28, 2012
I'm moving my 9 RIR, 8 California Whites and 8 Barred Rocks (All 25 are Hens) to Coop at 4 weeks because they are out growing their brooder pen and wanted to know if I need to put heat lamps above the roosts or let them naturally heat the coop? The Coop is not airtight it has ventilation at points in 2 of the walls. Anyone have suggestions on things to put in the coop to accommodate the chicks besides the heat lamp? Thanks

Last edited:
A LOT depends on the temps now where you are. I moved my chicks out to the coop @ 9 weeks with no heat lamp but we're in Houston Texas. During the recent cold snap (28 degrees) they were in the coop w/out any heat and did fine.

Also the size of the coop. Their bodies can heat a smaller area better than a larger one. The windows in my coop can be shut with plywood shutters so there's not much cold air coming in.

I would think it would be bad for chicks that young to go straight from a heated brooder to outside without any conditioning, unless where you are it's in the 60s or 70s.

NM. I see where you're planning to put a heat lamp in there.

Last edited:
I'm in Northern California and right now it's getting as low as 35. They're slowing coming off of heat now so I think I will suspend a heat lamp from the rafters directly to the ground for now till they are a bit bigger and accustomed to the temperature.

I'm tween Houston n Dallas its been below freezin here a few nights and will snow for a day ( n then goes away). My big Girls n Roos are out in the coop - yard/open house. open due to the heat we have here n Texas in the summer. I have my born on Christmas day (picked up from ideal on 26th) in the house with a heat lamp. will wait til they are bout a month or so old to move them outside to enclosed shed that will be headed with heat lamps and one over brooder. due to the amount of wind we are having here last night I added a heat lamp to the Big Girls roost area, at first they weren't real sure what this big red thing was, this morning when I peeked in on them, they were huddled under it. its still over all cold and windy in their house/yard, they are well padded and have fresh water (made from homedepot buckets and the nipples) and have given them warmed oatmeal and yellow corn mash, they seem to really like the treats. Over all they are doing well and since they are all primarily breeds that are adaptable to cold or heat. Mainly Rhode Island Reds n Ameraucanas, barred Plymouth rocks, Cochin and a few others. They do stay huddled together in various groups around the house at night, some out in the open and some tucked back in. so depends on birds, locations and your set up. Stay warm n toasty

Back
Top Bottom