moving chicks to outside coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Matelew, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Matelew

Matelew Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    I moved my chicks to their outside coop yesterday...the night time weather was cool but a lot colder than I was expecting when I woke up this am. When I went to check on them they were busy exploring their new surrounding and pecking at the roosting bars hubby put together for me. The younger chicks probably snuggled up to the older BOs.

My question is can I let them out to free range during the day? Everything I read says to leave them in the coop for a few days so they can get acclimated. But I want them to be out doing what chickens do instead of cooped up ( unintended pun) especially as it's a beautiful day here with highs in the 70s.. Also, do I also feed them in the coop? I don't want food all over the place. The coop is really just for sleeping and laying as when all is completed they will have a decent space to play, dust bath and scratch.

Any help is appreciated...

2. cutechick53

cutechick53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Arizona
    How old are your chicks? I put mine out at 7 weeks old, (I was on a trip and didn't trust the person who was watching them with that much responsibility when they were younger) and let them free range in the run. If they are under 5 weeks, I would keep them in the coop. If they are older, only let them in the run, not where hawks and other animals are waiting to smack their lips on them. I made a mini- size run for my chicks to scratch. They were always under my supervision of course [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  3. Matelew

Matelew Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks for the reply...My chicks are 7-4 weeks old. They are usually outside in a makeshift run when the weather is above 60 and they love it..they have most of their feathers the younger ones still have the fuzz on their head. I just want them to know this is their new home. The run in their coop still needs some hardware cloth attached so they don't sneak out...but I guess since I usually carry them back and forth they should be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by