Moving chicks to the coop during winter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JRG, Nov 28, 2010.

1. JRG

JRG Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    I have 31, 3 1/2 week old chicks (silkies, layers, and guineas). I was hoping to move them to their coop, which is a 12X12' stall in our barn that has been predator proofed, when they are 4 weeks old. We are outside Nashville and nights have been as low as 28 degrees so far. Daytimes warm up nicely to 54+ degrees. Do you think the chicks would be ok if I make sure the bedding is deep and we hang a heat lamp? I also thought I would cover the windows that open to the inside of the barn with plastic to block drafts. Any thoughts on this? Do I need to wait a little longer? I could put them in the garage. I'm not sure if it's going to be much warmer than the barn; however.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

JRG

2. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    We moved our chicks to the coop when they were 4 weeks old (two weeks ago). I put in tons of pine shavings and hung two heat lamps and they've been fine. Actually, after the first few days I had to turn the 2nd heat lamp off during the day because the chicks were too hot. Our highs have been in the 40s and lows in the 20s. I think as long as you can block any drafts your chickies will be fine...

3. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I just moved mine out to the coop I live about 40 miles east of nashville and they didi great. They had mom with them but a heat lamp will do the job. Be very very very carefull with the heat lamp secure it very well. artifiacial heat can start fires in coops.

4. JRG

JRG Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    abhaya-

Oh great! How old are your chicks? I plan to hang my heat lamp with a chain from the top of the stall. I sure didn't want to rely on the clip! Maybe I'll start by hanging 2 of them.

Thanks for the info!
    JRG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by