Moving Chicks to the Coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Linda in San Diego, May 15, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    We will be moving the 4 week old hens to the coop this weekend. They will have an attached and closed run. Is it too soon to let them out into the run? Will they put themselves to bed or need to be helped? At what age can they be let out to free range - supervised of course! We are still working on the pond issues, LOL.

2. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    Mine was 12 days to 14 days old when I moved them out to the coop, the first 4 or 5 days we made sure they knew where and what the coop was for. The was also very small, 15 foot length of rabbit cage wire.

They learned quick to go back inside at night and to get the heat light.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    At 4 weeks old, it is warm enough or they have a heat lamp, they should fine outside. You will probably have to herd them into the coop the first few nights so they learn where to go. I would not free range them unsupervised yet.

As long as they are safe, secure and warm enough throughout the night, they should be okay.

4. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Thanks, that is what I was thinking. To start with they will only be in the coop. Lots of access to the pen, 12x4 all enclosed and then into the coop at night. Since the high here today was 97 (not as hot as expected) and the low will be about 61, that will probably be good. I will hang the lamp out there with them and turn on as needed.

A second part to the question. "Perches starting at 24" above the floor for the coop, what will my little hens need? Lower to start with? Nest boxes are in and perches at 24" are there, should I put something in that is lower?

Thanks for the advice all!

5. Velociraptor

Velociraptor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  6. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Well, I couldn't stand it, we moved the chicks to the run today while the upstairs (Coop) is being finished. Tonight they will probalby spend the night in the coop, we will see when things cool down!
    Here is a shot with some of the girls. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by