Moving chicks to the hatcher!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kentucky~Momma, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Kentucky~Momma

Kentucky~Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    South Central Kentucky
    Tonight we are moving 8 eggs to the hatcher! We have already heard peeping from some of them, we are watching them closely making sure that none of them are pipping while they are in the automatic turner. Hopefully we will have chicks tomorrow![​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

What day are you on? You should stop turning them and move them into the hatcher on day 18.

3. Kentucky~Momma

Kentucky~Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    South Central Kentucky
    Tonight is the time to move them. We set them at night, so we will move them at night as well. Tonight would be Day 18.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I thought maybe you were further along since you've heard them peeping already. I haven't ever heard mine that early. I've got some hatching right now. They're cute little buggers!![​IMG]

5. chixrme

chixrme Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2007
    Eastern Shore of VA
    I'm interested in "the hatcher". What is it? We just take our auto turner out on day 18 and let them stay quiet, resting in the hova. Thanks for advice/info!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I use a hovabator for incubating, Right now I've got four different hatch dates going, so when they hit day 18 I move them to a LG that I use as my hatcher. If they're all the same hatch date I just take out my turner in the hova....just didn't work out that way this time.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  7. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    i was thinking about building a separate hatcher for that very reason. I will have two batches of eggs going about a week apart.

We have 2 old coolers, i figure a hatcher would be jsut the same as building an incubator. Any changes you would make?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by