1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moving chicks to the new coop.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jackandkaren, Apr 28, 2016.

1. jackandkaren

jackandkaren Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Here are my chicks exploring their new coop! They are 4 weeks and 1 day old. It is a nice warm day and I have a heat lamp inside the house in case they get cold. I was planning on moving them out full time next week. The weather is supposed to be 75-80 during the day and 50's at night. I will keep the heat lamp out there for a while. Am I moving them too soon? I'm totally new at this.[​IMG]

2. ENor70

ENor70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    I'm new too, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think you'll be fine. Mine are just at a month old and have been in a 8x6x3 brooder (pretty open, in other words) in the barn for approximately a week or a bit more. Temps are similar to yours (though the last couple days have been rain and pretty cool). I've a heat lamp set up too, but when I check them over 1/2 are usually on roosts away from the lamp. They are thriving. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

3. cscigu

cscigu Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2014
    Yeah, this is the age/temp that I still wonder about. Our weather is about the same, and I have some similar aged chicks. Almost moved them yesterday, but a rainy cold front hit last night, so I'm waiting a couple more days. BUT, I don't have a lamp in the coop. With a lamp out there, I think they'll be fine. I have mine in the barn with no lamp right now, but in a "brooder". (old water tank)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by