1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

moving chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenbythesea, Jun 17, 2011.

1. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    what's the best way to move chicks from a brooder to the coop... I want to get mine out of the house be we only have one heat lamp.. so I have to heat the coop then transfer the chicks... just want to know if there's a preferred way to do it to cause the least amount of stress. I want them out of the house and I think they're starting to get on each others nerves... noticed one of them starting to peck the others and even went for the eyes. thanks for your help

2. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    How old are they? Generally they need to stay in a brooder until they are fully feathered at which time unless its really cold outside, they shouldn't need the heat lamp. If they are pecking at each other, try changing the bulb from regular to a red bulb, that usually will cut down on the pecking. Keep in mind that even chicks at an early age will establish a pecking order. If they are older, and need to still be in a brooder, you might want to try putting them in a bigger brooder.

3. chickenbythesea

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    no, they're not staying in my house until they're feathered. they have a heat lamp and it's red so that's not the reason for the pecking. I'm putting them out today, just wanted to make it as easy as possible for them.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I put my chicks in the coop a few hours a day before heading out there full time for the first batch. My second batch, I brought the brooder(wire dog kennel) out there and I still have the kennel out there separating the two groups.

5. chickenbythesea

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    sounds good... we're working on getting it ready for them to go. I'm rather excited to get them into their own digs

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Mine go out to the coop at about 6 weeks old with no heat lamp at all...they do fine. If they are younger just move them with the heat lamp all at the same time. No need to heat the coop before hand or have the light in there before. They will stick under the light if they are cold [​IMG] Good luck! I tried keeping my first batch in the house and did but the dust was unbelievable!~ so from then on they were in the garage with a heat lamp. MUCH better too cuz they can get some outside light sometimes too from there [​IMG]

7. chickenbythesea

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    the heat lamp is in and now I'm going to get a book and settle in to sit with them in the coop for the afternoon. I want to make sure they're not too cold for tonight (and they're just plain fun to watch!)... hopefully this goes well and they're not all dead in the morning (that's really my only fear).

8. chickenbythesea

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    they're all out and settled... now it's just to keep checking and making sure the heat lamp it doing the job and that I don't need to lower it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by