1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moving chilckens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Britlloyd, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Britlloyd

Britlloyd New Egg

Feb 7, 2015
    We are about to move from AZ to TX and want to bring our 4 hens with us. It's about a 9 hour drive. Will they survive the trip?

2. Zakon

Zakon New Egg

Jun 8, 2013
    How old are chickens?

3. Britlloyd

Britlloyd New Egg

Feb 7, 2015
    About a year old

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Chickens can be moved fairly easily, if you have a dog crate those work great, cardboard boxes with some holes in it work fine. Depending on what you use, shredded paper, shavings, hay etc on the bottom will help keep them clean. If the trip is at night they will be fine in the box/crate in the dark, if the trip is going to be a during the day (or if the coop/run will not be set up when you get there) then you might consider getting something like a dog crate you can hang food and water bowls in for them (and nesting box if they are layers), also makes it easier to keep them in for a day or two while reassembling the coop and run. Pretty much like people keep them at shows. The move may or may not upset them enough to stop laying for awhile as they get used to their new home.

5. Zakon

Zakon New Egg

Jun 8, 2013
    I think that chickens will survive if you keeps in a small cage where you can have space . " Sorry for my bad english "

6. Zakon

Zakon New Egg

Jun 8, 2013
    :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! Great advice there for you about moving them in a dog crate/box with plenty of ventilation. Wishing you the very best of luck with your move, hope all goes well for you. Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

8. Britlloyd

Britlloyd New Egg

Feb 7, 2015
    Awesome! Thank you very much!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Your hens should survive the trip just fine, although the stress of the move will likely set their laying back temporarily. Which part of Texas are you moving to? My wife and I were both raised in Texas. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in moving your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by