Moving cockerel to other flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by peckyscotch, Feb 15, 2015.

1. peckyscotch

peckyscotch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    Scotland
    I have 5 hens and 2 cockerels altogether with 2 hens and 2 cockerels in one run and 3 hens in the other run. The 3 hens in one run are a lot older than the hens and cockerels in the other one. I have noticed that the cockerels are starting to try fertilising the eggs in the younger hens which have just started laying. Should I move one of the cockerels to the other run? And if so when? The cockerel that I am thinking of moving is a verwerk which unfortunately, has a sore foot. I think it would start to get bullied by the other cockerel, which is a much bigger, light Sussex. but I am also worried that if I moved him to the other run he might get bullied by the older ladies. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Choose male to be moved. Then, if practical provide him with a pen within the older hen pen. Do not release him immediately. At this point the hens will likely whip him if introduced directly although that is not likely to cause serious harm. You want to look for a change in is behavior where his voice gets deeper and hens come to his tidbit calls. At that point you will be able to release him directly into older hen pen without discord.

3. peckyscotch

peckyscotch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    Scotland
    Ok thanks for that

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Do you know why his foot is sore and whether you need to treat it or not?

I’d move him out of the other pen. Sometimes when a cockerel is injured, especially when there are other cockerels just reaching puberty, normal dominance/pecking order fights can turn especially deadly when otherwise they would normally quickly evolve to chasing and running away, then acceptance.

I also agree to not put him directly in with the older hens. Sometimes when chickens sense a weakness in another chicken they can become really brutal. As Centrarchid said, the older hens would likely beat him up anyway even if he were healthy until he reaches a certain maturity point. Once he is mature it will go a lot smoother.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by