Bettyboop7499

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 25, 2018
Traverse City, MI
So, my hubby originally put our chicken coop near the house, so on my bad days it wouldn't be too much for me to let them out and feed them. This was great because I could also hear if something wasn't right. However, we have a large group of trees just on the other side of the coop which was great for the chickens for forging and on hot summer days BUT it is also great for predator to hide in wait! I lost two more! One of my Barred Rock hens and my Black Laced Wyandotte Rooster! :hit

So DH suggested we move the coop down in the pasture away from the trees, they still have trees for shade (but no place for predators to hide) and lots of ground to forge on. The first night I excepted I would have to carry them down to the coop-to show them...well, that didn't go so well! I managed to corral all but my Sebright Rooster, Mr. Rooster. He flew on top of the house and wouldn't come down!:he That is where he stayed all night in the rain. Needless to say he was not happy with me the next morning! I fed them next to the coop as always and he came down to eat with the flock..And then last night around the time they head to the roost there they were huddled up next to the house-I hadn't succeeded in showing them where their home was moved! so AGAIN hubby and I corralled all but two, this time Mr. Rooster and Ms. Betty (1 of 4 Barred Rocks) they flew to the trees.:idunno This morning I AGAIN opened the coop and fed the chickens and Mr. Rooster & Betty came to eat with the flock-NEXT TO COOP!

I just can not continue to corral the chickens by hand. Does anyone have experience in moving coops and know how I can get them to roost in their coop again? Is there a trick to it? I tried calling them, I threw down corn..nothing! Will they figure it out on their own? I have one hen laying and the others will start any day now so I really need them to understand where to go...

So, my hubby originally put our chicken coop near the house, so on my bad days it wouldn't be too much for me to let them out and feed them. This was great because I could also hear if something wasn't right. However, we have a large group of trees just on the other side of the coop which was great for the chickens for forging and on hot summer days BUT it is also great for predator to hide in wait! I lost two more! One of my Barred Rock hens and my Black Laced Wyandotte Rooster! :hit

So DH suggested we move the coop down in the pasture away from the trees, they still have trees for shade (but no place for predators to hide) and lots of ground to forge on. The first night I excepted I would have to carry them down to the coop-to show them...well, that didn't go so well! I managed to corral all but my Sebright Rooster, Mr. Rooster. He flew on top of the house and wouldn't come down!:he That is where he stayed all night in the rain. Needless to say he was not happy with me the next morning! I fed them next to the coop as always and he came down to eat with the flock..And then last night around the time they head to the roost there they were huddled up next to the house-I hadn't succeeded in showing them where their home was moved! so AGAIN hubby and I corralled all but two, this time Mr. Rooster and Ms. Betty (1 of 4 Barred Rocks) they flew to the trees.:idunno This morning I AGAIN opened the coop and fed the chickens and Mr. Rooster & Betty came to eat with the flock-NEXT TO COOP!

I just can not continue to corral the chickens by hand. Does anyone have experience in moving coops and know how I can get them to roost in their coop again? Is there a trick to it? I tried calling them, I threw down corn..nothing! Will they figure it out on their own? I have one hen laying and the others will start any day now so I really need them to understand where to go...
Chickens don't like change. When we move our chicken netting down the pasture, we usually have a night or two where we have to poke the chickens into their mobile coops. If you can catch them all, I would leave them penned up for 2-3 days so they realize that it is "home" again.

I use these wire cylinders made out of 2x4 welded wire to capture chickens easily. I spread out some treats and I walk up to them and drop the cylinder over them and bend over and pick them up. The chickens are so busy look at you and your hands that they don't see the wire in your hands. I've been meaning to make a video of me capturing chickens using this method.
Wire basket.JPG

Wire basket fastening.JPG

I use these wire cylinders made out of 2x4 welded wire to capture chickens easily. I spread out some treats and I walk up to them and drop the cylinder over them and bend over and pick them up. The chickens are so busy look at you and your hands that they don't see the wire in your hands. I've been meaning to make a video of me capturing chickens using this method.
View attachment 1479385

View attachment 1479384

These are great! Did you make them or buy them? I was actually trying to come up with some kind of trap like this with a clothes basket...I'm desperate!

Back
Top Bottom