Moving Cornish cross outside

lrobb88

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
Hi there, I know that there are LOTS of threads about moving chicks outside, but I can’t find much applicable information aside from the classic “reduce the heat by 5 degrees a week.” I’m raising 25 Cornish cross which are a little over four weeks. They’re ALMOST fully feathered (a few bald patches underneath, around the wings, etc). The temps here in Western NC have finally stabilized to ~70-80 during the day and 55-65 at night. The birds are huge and starting to pick on each other in the brooder. I want to move them outside. Is 55 too low at this age (keeping in mind they are almost completely feathered) if they’re in a suscovich style tractor with tarp? They’ve been loving it during the day, and I’d love to get them out there to avoid picking (and the stink). Any advice from people who have specifically kept fast growing Meaties or dealt with similar situation are much appreciated! Thank you

I'd put them out there as long as they're feathered out, you have plenty of them to huddle together for warmth if they do get chilly but they should be fine I think.

Thank you both for your input. This is very helpful (and also great news!)

Back
Top Bottom