Moving Coturnix Quail outdoors in winter, rabbit hutch question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by HamsterGirl, Dec 21, 2016.

1. HamsterGirl

HamsterGirl New Egg

Dec 17, 2016
    Hey there,

I have some chicks that are still under a heat lamp but the plan is to ultimately set them up outside. I live in California and right now my area goes down to the 40s at night and the 60s during the day.

The plan is to have them in a rabbit hutch, one corner is totally enclosed asides from the entrance to it. I was going to fill that with some hay and set up some areas off the wire floor. The hutch would be on a covered patio without much wind.

Would it be safe to put them out there with some heat source when they're a couple months old? Or better to wait?

Side note, has anyone had any luck with Coturnix Quails using a ramp to go up and down a double layer rabbit hutch?

Thanks!

2. Manor Hatchery

Manor Hatchery Just Hatched

Dec 11, 2016
    A Coturnix thats 2 months old is an adult so I would assume they would be safe in that temperature degree especially with a heat lamp to help out.

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    They are coturnix quail? Mine appreciate a ramp and my pet group just jumps onto a shelf and I put hay underneath of it and they make a nest and lay some eggs in there :p

I would be concerned about them "acclimating" meaning sure they will have their adult feathers in several weeks but I believe they also require time to acclimate in weather getting colder to grow extra feathers to make their plumage more dense.

Do not trust them to take shelter from rain/wind - they're derpy little birds and won't coop like a chicken :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by