moving day

Welcome to BYC!
So your hen has brooded this clutch - how many days has it been since the first chick hatched? By moving "them" are you referring to the remaining eggs, the hatched chickens or the whole family? Moving her while there are still eggs you hope to hatch would be ill-advised. What is the reason you want/need to move them?

she's in a milk crate no room for her and the babies there are 4 babies started yesterday 3/11 I made them a temp. place that will work better I might be able to just take the crate with her and all and put that in there new home?

I got on this forum looking to the answer to the exact same question. When I was a kid I moved a clutch and I cannot recall the outcome. I do remember the hen still mothered her hatched chicks, I cannot recall the unhatched eggs.

she's in a milk crate no room for her and the babies there are 4 babies started yesterday 3/11 I made them a temp. place that will work better I might be able to just take the crate with her and all and put that in there new home?
Welcome to BYC!

So the broody hen is in a milk crate and her eggs just started hatching?

Now you realize the milk crate isn't big enough......
.....and you want to move the just hatched chicks, the unhatched eggs, and the broody to a new place?

You can try, but it's risky....especially if the other eggs have started hatching.

Moving the mama and her chicks to a new place shouldn't be a problem.
Maybe tip the milk crate on it's side so they can still get in there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom