Moving DD back to college today

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by zippitydooda, Aug 21, 2011.

1. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    My 21 yo DD is moving back to the college dorm today to begin her senior year. While I realize that graduation is almost 10 months away, and nothing is guaranteed, I am really proud of her accomplishment so far. She will be my first to complete college.

The weird part is all the mixed emotions. It feels like when I took her to kindergarten. I keep thinking that she won't be coming back home to live (which, in reality, I don't know if that's true). She has a pretty serious boyfriend, so I think they will probably want to live together after graduation (he already graduated from college). I know she will always be around and will visit often, but my heart still aches. I know, big mush ball. I should be glad that she feels confident enough to leave the nest. Still....... [​IMG]

Anyhow, just rambling. Anybody else ever feel this way?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have two juniors and a freshman in college.... one of the juniors is in Hungary right now but will head back to the University in the spring. Fun times.

3. mothrhen

mothrhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Maryland
    I'm in tears just reading your post. I took my junior year student back to NC last Wednesday. So bittersweet. . . This year he's living off campus which means I had to send him with some of his own furniture. UG! something about moving out furniture made it feel so final. I was a basket case and had to have a friend of mine and him move it to the van so I could cry and cry. As a parent, you want them to get on with their lives but, the need to see them in front of you (usually glued to the couch/computer) to see that they are safe never ends. [​IMG] Good luck to your student. Thanks for posting!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:[​IMG] Been there done that. All the feelings are part of the normal parent 'letting go' progression. I hated it, but what's a Dad to do. We raised them to be independent and it worked. Our children are our greatest accomplishment. I take pride in the people they have become. [​IMG]

5. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

uhh, Can't imagine how your feeling. My dd is starting Senior Kindergarden and your post made me tear up... Can't we make them stay little forever?
    [​IMG]

6. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I took my DD to her first year of college yesterday. She's only 15 minutes away, but it was still hard.

7. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Got her all moved in and managed to wait to cry until the drive home. My 16 yo dd was like "sheesh mom, it's not like she died or something".... hahaha.... She's right. I even left all the unpacking to her, which I didn't do her freshman year. She grew up to be a well adjusted, self sufficient young lady. Guess my work is done (with her). Now I get to have more CHICKEN time! Woot Woot! [​IMG]

8. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

We're taking our "baby" (youngest of three) off for her freshman year, tomorrow. Mixed feelings here, too. Of course, my kids have already figured out the connection between their growing up and moving on, and my foray into chickendom. At least somebody still needs me! [​IMG]

9. mothrhen

mothrhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Maryland
    Quote:Good luck to you and your freshman. My son's freshman year I cried the entire 7 hour drive home. The next year, maybe just and hour. This year just 15 minutes and then I was thinking "Hey, I wonder if I can pick up any NC chickens to bring home" I guess I'm growing up!! [​IMG] And this is how I feel today [​IMG] = free!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by