Moving duck pen and flying

chalis

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2016
I am wanting to move my duck pen to a differant part of the yard. I plan on fencing off a decent sized section so that they have roaming room but still have the pens at night. My husband is worried that they will fly away. We have three young rouans, this is their firat mating season. They where ducklings when we got them and lived in the house for awhile. I also have welsh harliquins in the incubater due to hatch next week and anocona eggs on the way the 22nd. So all will spend time around people and in the house. What are the chances of them flying away if free ranged? Thanks

I am wanting to move my duck pen to a differant part of the yard. I plan on fencing off a decent sized section so that they have roaming room but still have the pens at night. My husband is worried that they will fly away. We have three young rouans, this is their firat mating season. They where ducklings when we got them and lived in the house for awhile. I also have welsh harliquins in the incubater due to hatch next week and anocona eggs on the way the 22nd. So all will spend time around people and in the house. What are the chances of them flying away if free ranged? Thanks
Most domestics don't fly well at all and Rouen is a heavy breed. Have they been practicing at all? you can clip one wing that will keep them off balance so they can't get off the ground I can get you a pic of how to clip if that is an option for you. I do clip mine since they are Muscovy and great flyers.

Back
Top Bottom