Moving ducks from backyard to stock tank

Ren2014

Blessed Beyond Hope
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Texas
We purchased our first ducklings in Dec. They are now 8 wks old. This past weekend we herded them to our stock tank that is about 100 yards away from where they are now in our back yard. The herding went well but they only puddled around in about 1 ft deep water for about 5 mins and then headed straight back to our yard. I was shocked and disappointed. I took them back again later in the day and the same thing happened. Our plan was to have 'weekend trips' to the tank and then eventually move them entirely out of the backyard and to the tank. They will have fenced in protection into the tank but they will always have open area to come and go. Any suggestions on how to transition them to a new 'home' base? Thank you.

It will take some time. They have spent all their lives where they are now, right? Plan on more trips to the stock tank area. Give them treats there. They will get the idea. If it is a nice place to be, a safe place, they will get used to it.

In the winter, the ducks tend to stay in the tea garden once it gets really snowy. As the weather changes, we go back up to the Day Pen. But it always takes a little nudging at first to change habits.

My ducks like to be where they get their treats.

It will take some time. They have spent all their lives where they are now, right? Plan on more trips to the stock tank area. Give them treats there. They will get the idea. If it is a nice place to be, a safe place, they will get used to it.

In the winter, the ducks tend to stay in the tea garden once it gets really snowy. As the weather changes, we go back up to the Day Pen. But it always takes a little nudging at first to change habits.

My ducks like to be where they get their treats.

Will do, thank you. What treats do you feed? I've found tomatoes to be tops with them and sugar snap peas second. They didn't care much for eggs
sad.png

Peas, the fresh frozen kind, thawed.
Chopped lettuce in a bowl of water.
Sprouted wheat berries.
Dried Mealworms.

Those are the most successful treats so far, but they are also interested in anything leafy and green floating in water.

Be sure they have been given some grit in their diet for a few days before feeding treats - you probably know that.

Peas, the fresh frozen kind, thawed.
Chopped lettuce in a bowl of water.
Sprouted wheat berries.
Dried Mealworms.

Those are the most successful treats so far, but they are also interested in anything leafy and green floating in water.

Be sure they have been given some grit in their diet for a few days before feeding treats - you probably know that.

I will try peas tomorrow. What does the bowl of water do for the lettuce? Do you throw the meal worms on the ground?

I wish I knew why lettuce in water is so much more exciting than lettuce in a bowl.
hu.gif

The runners won't eat anything red, either. sigh.

The meal worms generally go in the water, too.

I wish I knew why lettuce in water is so much more exciting than lettuce in a bowl.
hu.gif

The runners won't eat anything red, either. sigh.

The meal worms generally go in the water, too.

Thank you, I can't wait to try them. That's weird about red though:)

Always were that way. If I was in the brooder with them (Brooder III was big) with a t-shirt with both red and green on it, they would nibble at the green. But so far they have refused strawberries, tomatoes, red cabbage, red lily leaf beetles.

Green things, on the other hand, have always gotten them happy.

Always were that way. If I was in the brooder with them (Brooder III was big) with a t-shirt with both red and green on it, they would nibble at the green. But so far they have refused strawberries, tomatoes, red cabbage, red lily leaf beetles.

Green things, on the other hand, have always gotten them happy.

That's really interesting.

Back
Top Bottom