Moving ducks into a new house

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by arrowti, Feb 11, 2017.

1. arrowti

arrowti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Maine
    Hello everyone. We're planning on moving the ducks from their first coop (the wood is starting to rot inside) to a new coop in the same enclosure. The new coop is vertical (the old was horizontal), but has a ramp to get into and out of, because it's attached to a small trailer to be easily moved.

I know firsthand that our ducks don't like things that aren't routine (like when we move their pool somewhere else!), so I'm wondering if you have any advice on getting them to adapt to, and go into, their new coop.

We are planning on moving them in tomorrow. We are going to put them in their normal coop, and then when they're inside, catch them and bring them to the new coop (easier than chasing them around in 3 feet of snow and ice!). They will get treats and all that night to help them relax to the change. We are getting a nasty blizzard with high winds Sunday night into Monday and so probably won't open the door for their own safety.

Any advice on 'ramp training' them? They have never, ever, used a ramp before...

And any other advice or insight would be appreciated.. :)

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not really any advise other than congrats on the new coop.. Also , they may take time to learn the ramp? Mine only do good on stairs not ramps......

Cheers.....

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have read that ramps need to be less than 30 degrees or they'll be too steep for ducks. I had a very short, very low slope ramp for their first house and it was very easy for them.

Treats in the new place is what I would go with, and I'd make sure there are no fumes from paint or stain or anything that could cause them respiratory distress especially since they'll be closed in.

Lots of nice comfy bedding, nothing too unusual (dark objects overhead), they will probably be fine.

4. arrowti

arrowti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Maine
    Well we moved them in... just in time, too, because the storm hit not 15 minutes later! There's windows for ventilation (up high, where the draft won't reach them) so they'll be all set. I covered the floor in a thick layer of fresh hay because they absolutely love hay... and gave them some lettuce, which is their favourite tree. Now they're all just lying down calmly. Seems successful!

The coop itself used to be for our chickens but since we downsized we only need one coop for the chickens and that made this one free... of course, all the old bedding was frozen solid to the floor and won't be able to be removed until Spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by