Moving during incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Goatmama123, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Goatmama123

Goatmama123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2015
    Hello-

I got ahead of myself so excited about being able to have chickens finally at our new property that when I saw someone had fall Silkie eggs I jumped on it. Kind of a weird counting your chickens before they hatch deal.... or hatching your chickens before you close rather.

Not thinking that by the time the eggs get here (tomorrow), and I leave them upside down for 24 hrs per shipping... and get them in the incubator they will hatch on Thanksgiving... a day after our move. How the heck do I move almost hatched eggs... My husband says we can plug it into my jeep for the short trek to the new house ( 2 miles) and then we can carefully hurry and plug it in again inside the house hopefully not loosing too much heat but what are your guys thoughts. I feel like its going to be awfully hard to not have the eggs move at all in transport.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You could point them pointy end down in an egg carton, that would keep them from rolling around while they're being moved. You could actually put them in the cartons from the very beginning and just keep them there.

The jarring from the drive probably wont do them any favors, but you gotta do what you gotta do! How far is the drive? If its not that far, I'd just wrap the incubator in a blanket and not bother plugging it in.

Good luck! I hope it all works out!

1 person likes this.
  3. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Eggs can hold their temperature for about 30 minutes max, so I wouldn't even worry about plugging it in. Just you need to make sure that they don't roll around. Putting them in cartons in the incubator the day before or so is a good idea. Make sure the humidity is stable before transporting the incubator too. That close to hatch is tough......hoping it works out well! Post on this thread when they hatch! :)

4. Goatmama123

Nov 2, 2015
    Putting them in a carton won't effect their ability to peck themselves? Should I take them out of the carton as soon as we get home?

5. Goatmama123

Nov 2, 2015
    Also, once they do hatch how long do I keep them in there to dry out? I assume I dont mess with the temp to allow the others to hatch.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Nope, you can leave them in the cartons. I prefer to use cartons at hatch time, they catch most of the hatching mess and make incubator clean up much easier. The chicks can stay in the incubator around 24-48 hours, they'll still be absorbing and using the nutrients from the yolk and wont require food or water. Some folks pull chicks as they hatch and dry, others (like me) prefer to leave them all in until hatching is done. I do get the occasional extra spunky chick that has a party in the 'bator, I usually pull those out to give the hatching/unhatched chicks a little peace and quiet :D

7. Goatmama123

Nov 2, 2015
    When should I put them in the carton? The day of lock-down, or should I open it up that day and put them in? They will be here today, I'm so nervous. 24 hrs fat end up correct? Then incubator tomorrow? I already have it on to try to get humidity just right. My incubator came with a little glass thermometer its staples to like a piece of paper like gloss sheet. that has the degrees on it...Is that safe to lay inside or is it a fire hazard. I assume its to make sure the digital system is reading correctly.

Are cedar shavings ok for the brooder or do they need to be pine?

8. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Do you have an egg turner? if you do, you can put the eggs in the cartons on day of lockdown. Yes, 24 hrs fat end up. Make sure your incubator has been running and stable for several days before putting your eggs in. Are you using a styrofoam incubator? I would recommend incubating "dry" here's BYC user @AmyLynn2374 's take on it: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity
    Also, those little thermometers that come with the incubator are notoriously incorrect. Make sure to calibrate it against a thermometer you know is accurate. I would use several of the little aquarium thermometers you can buy for several dollars at Walmart. You can calibrate them with the "ice water test". But if you do decide to use the cardboard one, no, it is not a fire hazard at all. Remember, the incubator is not much hotter than a sweltering day in Texas :) Just make sure it's not touching the element
    DON'T use cedar shavings, no matter what friends or your local feed store tell you: the aromatic oils will irritate your birds' lungs, and make them more susceptible to respiratory problems later in life. Pine shavings are great, try to get them as low-dust as possible.

1 person likes this.
  9. Goatmama123

Nov 2, 2015
    I currently have two new Styrofoam incubators (both are circulated air and have turners) as I was freaking out that the thermometer that came with it was SO off from the digital reading ( 95 on thermometer/ 105 on digital). The new one is not much better so I am thinking it is the thermometer. I can't figure out how to calibrate it because there is no reading for 32 to do the ice bath test. My eggs are suppose to be here today...

I am a nervous wreck!

10. Goatmama123

Nov 2, 2015
    They both have red vent plugs- one set of direction says nothing about them and to just leave them til hatch, the other set says to start out incubation with one out and only plug it in if you need more humidity desperately. Then it says to pull the second one 3 days prior to hatch to give them more fresh air?! Which directions do I listen to?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by