Moving eggs from broody hen to incubator?? *Pics #28*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by phoebeq, Jun 19, 2011.

1. phoebeq

phoebeq Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Cotopaxi, Colorado
    Okay, I have an EE hen that is sitting on 7 eggs. Thursday makes 21 days. Thing is, this is her second attempt. First one, quite a few didn't develop and the ONLY one that hatched died under her. I am guessing since she is new to it, she suffocated it [​IMG]

My question is, how bad would it be to move the eggs into a hovabator now? I just keep watching her and she gets off of the eggs more than I would like her to. She is still protective of them and runs back to them quite often, I just feel like this close to hatching, she should be staying on them. Am I wrong?? I REALLY don't want to come up with no chicks from this batch.

I have my incubator warming up and getting ready now, but I wanted to get some opinions before I did anything.

Should I move them and hope for the best? Or should I give her a chance and risk her letting them get too cold or suffocating them??

I just don't know what to do [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. phoebeq

Dec 14, 2009
    Cotopaxi, Colorado
    Bump...anyone??

She is currently sitting on them, so maybe I am just being paranoid. When should she start her "lockdown" phase, lol [​IMG]

3. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Sorry...I don't know but here's a bump [​IMG]

4. Rbl4life

Rbl4life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    bump bump

5. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    theres no shame in taking them in yourself if you really want them to hatch. a broody hen is always best to raise chicks over brooding them yourself however if shes new to the deal and you dont feel shes up to the challenge then step in. you yourself said you really would like them to hatch this time around.[​IMG] i think moving them to the bator will help. just make sure temps and hum. is all right and not fluctuating too much. GOOD LUCK keep us posted [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  6. pinknose

pinknose Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Hey,
    I am by no means an expert, but you could always hatch them in an incubator and then give them back to her in a day or so when they are all fluffed up and perky. Once the chicks are about a day old they are pretty resistant and can call quite loudly to their mother if she is sitting on them to roughly!!

7. phoebeq

Dec 14, 2009
    Cotopaxi, Colorado
    Thanks guys. I just read the replies, so I went out and snagged the eggs and put them into my incubator. I have had problems keeping the humidity high enough in my bator so I threw in a couple of soaked rags to keep it up. Question: is it bad for the humidity to be a bit high at this point??

Here is hoping I get at least ONE chick...

I tried incubating twice last year with zero luck [​IMG] I have yet to get any live chicks from my own flock...

8. 1shotcleaner

1shotcleaner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    hi wondering how many roosters you have?and for that matter how many hens? on a diffident topic what kind of incubator do you use? what do you set the temp to and how do you test setup? i can help you get it working for you if you want "i have hatched thousands of chicks it the last 5years"

9. pinknose

pinknose Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    The humidity is less important in the last few days. Those are the days that the humidity is better higher than lower. I'm not sure what kind of incubator you are using, but I use the hovabator and it instructs for a seconds water trough to be filled a few days before the hatch. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

10. phoebeq

Dec 14, 2009
    Cotopaxi, Colorado
    Quote:Oh, let's see...last summer I had like 3 roosters and 7 hens. The eggs all developed, but they died before hatch time. I tried regular incubation the first time and dry incubation the second time. I honestly don't remember much past that. I do know that I set temp and humidity where it was suggested to be. This summer, I had 2 roosters and 19 hens. Again, all eggs developed but didn't make it to full term, except for that one that died after hatching. I think she was getting up too much though.

I use a hovabator. Basic styrofoam one.I think the tray in the incubator has a crack and the water doesn't stay. So I added a bowl of water and two soaked rags. Temp is reading perfect on 3 separate thermometers. One digital and two not. I hope that is enough info. I guess we shall see how this goes. All of the eggs were alive last week...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by