Moving eggs from one incubator to another... should I?

laurarose

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK
So a few weeks ago I set some eggs - some of my own and some shipped - only one of the eggs successfully hatched but sadly died a day later.

This was my first time incubating and of course I fussed over it far too much and during the incubation I had some problems with keeping temp + humidity steady and correct (which wasn't helped by having to lift the entire lid off the incubator to turn the eggs & add water).
So I decided I would try one more time with the incubator (I don't know what its called but I think its pretty old), with my own eggs, and if this time wasn't successful I would buy a new incubator.

Buuut I've decided to buy a new one anyway, a Brinsea Octagon Advanced 20, which arrives tomorrow.

So basically since I've already started the second batch in the old incubator, would it be a terrible idea to move the eggs to the Brinsea once it is all set up? The eggs have been incubating for 3 days now.

Appreciate the help and will definitely listen to advice!

I see no problem with it if the transition is done as fast as possible and the other incubator is set up at the correct temp and humidity. I had my incubator loose power to it twice and went down to 60deg and it didn't effect my batch at all. Lower temps are not near a problem to eggs as higher temps. A hen will get off her best every day. Sometimes for up to an hr or two. Hope this helps

X2 you will be fine to move them to your new incubator. Great choice by the way on your new Brinsea I have the same one and it's fantastic!! Give it 24 hours to settle after setting it up and you should be good to go.
Sorry to hear you had a bad hatch last time I hope this one is better for you with your new Brinsea :thumbsup

I see no problem with it if the transition is done as fast as possible and the other incubator is set up at the correct temp and humidity. I had my incubator loose power to it twice and went down to 60deg and it didn't effect my batch at all. Lower temps are not near a problem to eggs as higher temps. A hen will get off her best every day. Sometimes for up to an hr or two. Hope this helps

Yeah, I thought at first my temps may have been too lower but after comparing thermometers I think the thermometer I was using was reading lower than what it should have been so my temps were a few degrees too high and this caused the problems.

Thank you!

X2 you will be fine to move them to your new incubator. Great choice by the way on your new Brinsea I have the same one and it's fantastic!! Give it 24 hours to settle after setting it up and you should be good to go.
Sorry to hear you had a bad hatch last time I hope this one is better for you with your new Brinsea :thumbsup

Thank you, I read a lot of good things about the brinsea so finger crossed it works well for me! I have one question if that's okay - I have now moved the eggs into the brinsea but since they are now upright instead of on their sides, when should I give it the first tilt? Could I let them settle in the regular centre position then tilt them in the morning and carry on from there?

Have you got the turnng cradle with it? Or are you hand turning the whole incubator? I would leave just a few hours then later do your first tilt then the morning tilt it the other way. Odd number of times per day so they are not in the same position 2 nights in a row.

Have you got the turnng cradle with it? Or are you hand turning the whole incubator? I would leave just a few hours then later do your first tilt then the morning tilt it the other way. Odd number of times per day so they are not in the same position 2 nights in a row.

Nope I'm hand turning so I will tilt it one way tonight and then I will tilt it three times a day until lockdown.
thank you for your help, much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom