Moving Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beachchickie, Aug 8, 2010.

1. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I have 3 nest boxes and 9 laying hens. Yesterday I could have sworn there were 4 eggs in the middle box. When I went to collect there was only 1 in the middle nest. Can they or would they be able to move eggs around like that. I should mention there is a lip at the edge of the boxes about 1/2-3/4 of an inch high. THe boxes are side by side. Hubby says I am crazy there is no way I just looked wrong but I swear there were 4 the first time I looked. I have been vigilant about looking b/c I have been waiting for my last RIR to lay. She layed yesterday.

2. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    neighbors?

3. beachchickie

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I should clarify. There were 5 in the last box, 1 in the middle, and 3 on the other end box when I p/u the eggs. Earlier in the day there were 4 in the middle and 1 one on each end. Sorry I did not make that clear. All eggs were present just not in the order I thought I saw them in.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  4. quinkerton

quinkerton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    North Bennington
    Rats, snake, opposum? Did you find the eggs or were they gone? I don't believe that chickens can move them out of the box.

5. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    Egg stealing predators? Coons, opossums, rats? Stealing eggs would be an easy meal for them.

6. beachchickie

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I must have been mistaken. I am going to try to look today but it is church soon so I may miss the action. I have seen hens move eggs around but not out of the nest. I just wondered if anyone had seen this b/f. So I won't think I am nuts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by